light for varible contrast papers. Is this the way to go or will a

cc30 G filter work well? The difference in cost makes this an

important question.

Likewise, if I go the filter route how much will this extend my

exposure times?

Sincerely,

Jerry

Jerry,

I, too, have an older ('bout 15 years old) Zone VI Beseler 45MXT cold light enlarger. I've seen that filter. I believe it would not dramatically increase your exposures. Heck, I'm stopping down the lens to f16 & f22 to lengthen my exposures. Maybe it would help. But the image becomes hard to see for dodge/burn routines.

Some may argue that the cc30G is the way to go to make VC papers really behave. Others say the the VC tube is the *only* way to go. I have discussed this option with some of my friends. Our concensus is, "Whatever you have - leave it alone." The original single tube, for me, works fine with any brand (I use Ilford) VC filters on any VC paper. Converting to the two tube (V54) VC cold light replacement may be fine for another user. But I wouldn't just change tubes to see if you like it. Unless you have lots of money - that green/blue tube is expen$ive! Rent time on one if you can find a lab/user in your area. Expect a long learning curve - mine was.

DISCLAIMER: These are just *MY* opinions. They work for me. They may or may not work for anyone else.

Good Luck.

There is apparently much confusion here. The V54 tube is a single tube to replace the older tube in an Aristo Cold Light Head. The replacement tube kit costs about $125 from B&H Photo. You might want to contact Aristo support to make sure you that get the right model if you interested. Aristo support is very helpful either by phone or email.

The 2-tube VC solution with the green and blue tube is called the VCL 4500 and is a totally different product that costs about $1000. It requires no additional filter sets and the contrast is dialed-in like a dichro. You can see these products at www.aristogrid.com/prod02.htm or www.bhphotovideo.com

Calumet also sells a Zone VI VC head with 2 tubes for about $1000. www.calumetphoto.com

Incandescent and fluorescent light sources are fundamentally different beasts. Anything with a hot filament has a continuous spectrum, meaning when you plot intensity versus wavelength (color), you get a smooth curve. On the other hand, the spectrum of a florescent tube looks like a comb with most of the teeth missing�.a minimal continuous component with some spikes at a very few wavelengths.

This mean that the two light sources to NOT respond to filters the same way. I had an old-style Zone VI head and had a world of trouble working with low contrast, even with a yellow filter stuck in there.

I�ve heard that the two-tube systems are good, but I�ve never used one.

I really don�t want to re-ignite the flame war, but have you considered a color dichro head? That�s what I�ve been using for years now, and it�s a whole lot easier to deal with (my opinion).

Good luck, in any case.

The Zone VI single tube heads and the Older Aristo single tube heads are not VC filter compatible. The new single tube V54 Aristo tube (it may have multiple phosphors, but it only has ONE tube) is color balanced and is compatible with VC filters. It works very well with VC filter sets, except that there is no real filter drawer. Florescent tubes now come in many different color balances; just go the local hardware store to see.

Aristo and Zone VI (Calumet) also have a TWO tube head (blue and green) that allows you to dial in the contrast like a dichro (no extra filters required). The Aristo 4x5 version is called the VCL 4500.

Contrary to one post above, the older Zone VI cold-light *is* compatible with VC paper. I've used it that way for at least ten years with few ill effects. I usually use one grade lower filter than usual- a #1 is my "normal". Perhaps there's some compression in the higher contrast grades but I rarely make negs that require them. I was told that a CP40Y- not green- was the correction filter to use. I tried it for a while, it wasn't necessary, but it did slow things down some. I'm sure there are improvements to be made but for me, they aren't cost effective. I'd just print for awhile and see how much trouble you really have.

By not compatible, I meant that the color of the lamp will throw off the contrast to a different grade than intended. You admitted that your Zone VI cold light head requires �one grade lower filter than usual- a #1 is my �normal.� Perhaps there's some compression in the higher contrast grades.� The Aristo V54 lamp requires no such adjustments, so that when you put in a #2 VC filter you get grade 2 contrast, when you put in a #1 VC filter you get a grade 1 contrast, and there is no compression in the higher grades.

By your definition, any lamp is compatible so long as you can make the proper adjustments. But I meant something different.