D200 shutter won't fire with remote release cable

kevin_peng1

<p>I was photographing some night shots today with my so-far trusty <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00IQDx">Jianisi remote release</a> and my newly-obtained AF Nikkor 18-35 f/3.5~4.5 (the only autofocus lens I've ever used on my D200) when, about 50 or 100 shots into the night, I ran into a problem I've never encountered--the remote release stopped triggering the shutter, but the shutter release on the body continued to work fine! I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that, before today, I'd NEVER used autofocus lenses for night shots with a remote release cable on my D200, but that hardly make the problem any less perplexing...</p>

<p>Instead of triggering the shutter, pressing the remote release would cause the camera to autofocus just as a half-press on the shutter release on the body would (AF motor runs, AF focus area frame flashes red inside the viewfinder). However, the shutter refused to release. Once this problem began, it persisted through the rest of the night. Again, while this was happening, I could consistently release the shutter by going back to the camera body and pressing the shutter release on the body fully (but that sorta defeats the purpose of having a remote). This has never happened to me with any of my manual focus lenses.</p>

<p>Since I was using the 18-35 on AF-S, it occurred to me that maybe the autofocus wasn't locking on and the shutter wasn't releasing because the image wasn't in focus. I then tried these things:<br /> - Confirmed that my autofocus settings (custom setting menu -> a1, etc) had AF-S mode priority on release (NOT focus) and AF activation on shutter/AF-L. Didn't help.<br /> - Switched focus to manual, manually focused, and waited for focus confirmation before trying the remote release. Didn't help.<br /> - Obtained autofocus with half-press on camera body shutter before trying the remote release. Didn't help.<br /> - Obtained autofocus with half-press on camera body shutter; locked autofocus by holding down the AE/AF-L button. With the AE/AF-L button depressed, I pressed the remote release. Didn't help.<br /> - Turned the camera off and then on again. The first shot after cycling the power would usually behave normally, with the remote triggering the shutter, but each subsequent shot would have the same problem.</p>

<p>I understand that D300 users seem to run into <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00QSLX">similar problems</a> , largely fixable with judicious menu selections, but this is slightly different, particularly since it involves a remote release.</p>

<p>Help!!!</p>

<p>Thanks<br /> Kevin</p>

<p>With a cheapo release, which by the way I also have, one is prone to eventual/frequent switch issues. The internals of most budget switches are merely some thin sheet metal fingers that soon begin to make intermittent contact. Pretty much it's a frailty issue, with probable user to user variation and some luck of the draw in assembly strength being mitigating factors. In this type of unit, the switch shorts pads on a tiny pc board. I've noticed with this design it's way too easy to apply excessive pressure while making the switch cycle, call me a zealous pusher ... in my manly ape-mind, a more/deep/forceful push = faster release (but it really doesn't) That's pretty much the price we pay for tiny and cheap devices with switch interfaces. (compare this to the indestructible oil-tight switches on factory & industrial equipment, certainly not tiny nor cheap) ... in the end, it "ain't no Ipod" or other name brand device with a large amount of ergonomic and MTBF analysis. I spell it - k n o c k o f f.</p>

<p>I had exactly the same problem with a $15 release that I bought online. It worked for 3 months and then would autofocus and not release and then might release. I sent it back and got another one and it was fine. The lesson I learned is that a cable release really doesn't make sense anymore especially since I was coming from a D70 that had a tiny inexpensive infrared wireless remote. Using a wired remote is a step backward although it is a step up from the mechanical plunger type releases. Well at least the mechanical release won't fail but with all of that poking they probably are barely better than you pressing the shutter with your finger.</p>