G9, G10 or G11

megan_stone

<blockquote>

<p>So when a surgeon has scrubbed and put on his sterile robes, hood, shoes covers and gloves, he is then going to handle a non sterile camera to take shots of a procedure.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Stephen, it is physically impossible to sterilize a digicam to a level so that a surgeon with sterile gloves would deem it safe to operate it. The pictures will have to be taken by an ungloved assistant. I would be wary of relying upon the closure of the see-through bag.</p>

<p>A G9 will work fine. So will a G10 or G11. I have a G9 and a G10. I really haven't shot the G9 since I got my G10 last spring. I'm not sure any digital camera is an "all-time classic".</p>

<p>You can get onboard time-lapse video capability with a G9. A G10 can't do that, but you do get remote-release capability and more resolution with one. Both will do macro without attachments (but there are attachments available to get 'closer'). Both will do video. I think the 28mm vs 35mm equivalent debate would be unimportant in practice for the intended use.</p>

<p>IMO the Canon underwater case is a good idea. The outside of the case could be disinfected (e.g. benzalkonium chloride solution, etc.), if not chemically sterilized. It would also keep contamination (i.e. bloodborne pathogens and other potentially infectious material) off the camera proper, and out of nooks and crannies that would be difficult or impossible to clean (hepatitis, anyone?). That said, if things are spurting, it's probably not the best time to be taking pics anyway.</p>

<p>If anyone has a G9 new in the box, unregistered with warranty intact, they might be asking a higher price because it's out of production, so the supply is limited. Anyone who wants one wants the longer zoom or the on-board time-lapse video feature. Those are the only advantages AFAIK. IMO, the G10's IQ is better for enlargements, and I find the controls a little easier to operate. The G11 seems to add about 1 to 1.5 stops of ISO sensitivity at the expense of resolution, and doesn't improve on the G10's zoom range [yawn]. YMMV.</p>

<p>An underwater case cannot be sterilized for use in an OR. It is REALLY impossible! But it may be easier to clean. Unless one uses a bag with a bombproof seal, a gloved surgeon cannot take pictures himself. Do we have a surgeon on PN who found a way of doing this?<br>

I would go for a D40 or similar DSLR, also because of better low light capability.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
<p>I'm not sure this is the right lace to post this question about my G10, but here it goes:<br /> I recently lost my G10 on a travel and want to buy the new G11, but I have a WP-DC28 underwater housing for the G10 and it's not the same model for G11 (WP-DC34).<br /> Is there any chance I can use the G11 on my WP-DC28 housing as both cameras are extremely alike ?<br /> What can be so different betwee the two models to motivate Canon to produce two diferent housings ?<br /> Real need or a money issue ?<br /> Thanks for any help.</p>