Recommendations for compact "every day" camera

<p>I'm fairly new to photography. I've always used point-n-shoots in auto mode and decided over the summer to get a real camera and learn photography. I bought my first DSLR, a Canon 30d, and I've been having a blast with it. Mostly, I get to play with it on weekends as time allows since I work full time and take night classes during the week. As I'm developing more of an eye for good shots, I find myself wishing I had a camera with me on my way to and from work or school. Maybe a sunset or the moon looks great, but I don't have my camera. The obvious solution is to take my DLSR rig with me, however that's not a good option because I ride a motorcycle most days. Even when I take a car, there is too much crime in the area to leave my gear in my car at school. So, I'd like to get a compact camera that will live in my backpack that I always with me, maybe with a small gorilla pod. I've got an old Canon PowerShot A510, but I want something more current and higher resolution than its 3mp. <br>

The features I'd like are:<br>

Av and Tv (M if possible) exposure control<br>

IS<br>

Bracketing (nice, but not critical)<br>

I don't care about video, face recognition, and all the other bells and whistles that get thrown in these days. <br>

This would primarily be for capturing images of things like interesting skies and sceneries. Macro/close up of things like flowers would be nice too. Low use might be indoor shots at things like concerts where professional cameras are not allowed.<br>

I know, I'm probably asking a lot for a compact. The choices out there are staggering, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations out here. Thanks for any advice!<br>

-Mike</p>

<p>While not a very compact compact, the Canon G10 or G11 will get you there for the features you listed. Panasonic and Olympus make some nice ones as well. No compact will be outstanding in low light. You might also look into using the CHDK hack for other Canon compacts <a href="http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK">http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK</a> </p>

<p>I use a SD880IS for shirt pocket and a G10 for jacket pocket carry.</p>

<p>Second that recommendation--when traveling, I prefer a G9. Plenty of megapixels (12), long zoom, good optics. A little noisier than a DSLR at high ISO, but still plenty of bang for the buck. And it's got RAW, so spring for an 8 gig chip. Gorillapod is good, but you might consider switching to a unipod--more versatile, and good for beating hardened criminals. There are others in the same bracket, and you can read all about them on dpreview.com. Excellent source of reviews.</p>

<p>In addition to those already mentioned, you may to check Sigma line of camera and lenses. Generally speaking, Sigma cameras are designed to be compact and advanced, and they make their own lenses to go with them. I have a 35mm film camera, Sigma SA-7n, and its one of the more compact film SLR's in my collection. About the same size & form factor as the old Olympus OM-1 & 2 cameras. In fact, you can pick up the Sigma SA-7n kit package these days for practically bargain prices, $50-$100. Good luck with your shopping!</p>

<p >My compact camera:</p>

<p >Must have eye-level viewfinder that works in bright light.</p>

<p >Must operate on AA batteries, available anywhere.</p>

<p >Must accept SD chip.</p>

<p >Must have sufficient MP to make 8x10</p>

<p >Must have good LDC display to allow review.</p>

<p >Must be small so it fits in my pocket.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >My choice is the Canon A1000 IS </p>

<p>I did look at the Canon G series, but I'm a little concerned about the size. It's not huge, but a little smaller would be better for a "no excuses" everyday carry camera. I just noticed the Canon S90, which looks real promising. I'm not sure it does AEB, but it does capture in RAW which is cool. It's new this month, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit before I can see one. I'll keep looking at others in the mean time.<br>

Thanks for the input, ya'll!</p>

<p>I recently bought a Powershot SX110IS, my first Powershot since a Powershot A720IS a couple of years ago. It has 9 megapixels, more than enough for the tiny sensor size, a 3-inch monitor, and most importantly, a 36-360mm (35mm equivalent) zoom. It performs nicely through ISO 400, decently at 800, but 1600 and 3200 are only for use in sheer desperation. It's not as compact as the A-series but it's still fairly small and I'm enjoying it a lot. No eye-level viewfinder; the A720IS had one but so much of the scene was cut out that it was somewhat deceptive. The SX110IS meets all of the other criteria though.</p>

<p>What's funny about the SX120IS is that there's not much difference between it and the SX110; one more megapixel and Digic IV to combat the added noise from the additional megapixel. You're right about the prices changing Bill, except that now the new SX120IS is going for around $229-$249 while I saw an SX110IS at Sam's Club today for $179!</p>

<p>After pondering it some more, I've added RAW capture as a must have. I always shoot RAW with my DSLR and don't want to give that up. The Panasonic LX3 does look good. I see that it has everything I want, including exposure bracketing. I've been favoring the Canon S90, waiting to see one when they start shipping. I haven't ruled out the G11, although that's starting to get a little big for my purposes. I can't figure out from the online specs if the S90 or G11 do bracketing (AEB). Does anyone know?</p>

<p>Some do look a little dull, Bill. It's hard for me to tell sometimes, being largely color blind! I have to rely on my wife to tell me when a picture doesn't look quite right. :) I'm really leaning toward the s90 due to size and feature set. I'd love to be able to stash the camera easily in pockets or backpack so it's always with me. Now, if they'd only get it out there for sale! The LX3 looks like a second choice for me.</p>

Ha! Yes, I don't see the point in the G11 when the S90 has the same stuff, except flash shoe and highly inaccurate viewfinder. I'd rather have the 3" LCD on the S90 anyway. In the dpreview samples, blue sky has too much green, or else the London smog was greenish that day. You'll have to take my word for it, or ask your wife. Noisewise (looking at the orchestra shot) I don't believe the G11 is doing any better than the Fuji F200EXR at ISO 1600.