Student Photographer Recommendation Film SLR - NOT an amateur/beginner however

beth_hamilton

<p>I have been doing photography for a few years and I started out with film... then progressed onto digital - I don't consider myself in the "amateur" phase anymore. However I am just starting a photography degree and will be doing film, and would like a suitable 35mm camera - but not a beginner one.<br /> I currently have a Nikon F65, but I'm aware it's not the best - I was wondering how good the F70 is in comparison? Obviously I need manual settings on it - or should the F65 be sufficient?<br /> <br /> I also have a Pentax Spotmatic.<br /> <br /> I can't really afford an F80 as I just got a D90...</p>

<p>With prices the way they are now... Here are cameras I recommend:<br>

AF cameras: N8008, N80 (F-80 elsewhere?), F100, N90, F5 <br>

MF cameras: F3HP, FM2N, FA, FE2, FG</p>

<p>The N70 (F70) is a camera with really kludgy user interface, slow AF and not recommended. If you wear glasses, you will really like the viewfinder of the N8008, which does quite well with manual-focus lenses as well as AF. The reason I don't list the F4 is because although it can be a fine camera, the thing is a tank.<br>

You are right the F65 is a low-end camera, and although it can still take great images, it doesn't play well with manual lenses, and if you are not heavily invested in AF lenses already, any of the MF cameras listed will allow you complete control using manual focus and all but G-series (and DX) AF lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>i've got a nikon FE that is great as it allows for good night photography as it has aperture priority that will apparently select minutes long shutter speeds at night. that said, have you thought about finding an old F2 or the all manual FM. as a photography student, though, you should know that the camera has the least impact on your work. shoot what you have and make photos, right? what's the matter with the cameras that you have right now anyways?</p>

<p>I come at this from the perspective of an instructor: The camera that you have now is probably fine, so long as it allows convenient manual control of both aperture and shutter speed. If you don't have a fixed 50 for your camera, that would be a better bet than a new body. Either way, speak to your instructor(s); they will probably have their own advice for you. </p>

<p>Having said that, I will make throw this thought out there: even though you ask about a 35mm SLR, you might want to consider a medium format camera. If you'll be doing much printing, a larger negative makes life much easier. Something like a Yashicamat or a Mamiya C220 or C330 can be found incredibly cheaply--often as cheap as a 35mm SLR. The change in aspect ratio and the waist level finder will add to your understanding of photography's potential and can shift how you see and therefore shoot, as well. Plus, you'll look way cooler than all those other students with 35mm... </p>

<p >While there are no hard and steadfast rules about what constitutes a beginner/amateur camera, I would speculate that most would regard the F70 to lie within the ‘intro/beginner’ range of the spectrum. I would peg the F80 in the intermediate/advanced range, though it will not meter with manual focus lenses.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Considering that your camera will likely see substantial use, as either a student or beyond academia, I would recommend a more robust and better featured body. Given the going rate for the F70, even a modest repair would likely approach or exceed the value of the camera, rendering it disposable and requiring a replacement. For these reasons I’ll point you in the direction of the F100. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Other options exist but I assume you want autofocus and a relatively modern body, as compared to an F2 or F3. If my assumption is wrong then many options are on the table (e.g. FE2, FM2n). You may have to elaborate on your particular wants/needs re: features and usage (much flash work?). The F4 and F5 are very fine cameras but akin to carrying an unabridged dictionary compared to the 65.</p>

<p>While your N65 is no-where the camera that a F100 or even a N90s is, it should get you through your class with no problems, as long as you don't expect to take a zillion photos with it. As mentioned before, you NEED to have a 50mm (f/1.8) lens with it, and maybe 28mm & 135mm lenses also, as well as a good Speedlight.</p>

<p>What Michael Meyer said!</p>

<p>Even more important, can you find out if there are any recommendations from the school.</p>

<p>I personally think that the best camera to learn on is something like an FM and a pair of lenses, one 50 and one 28. I learned on a Pentax MX and those two lenses. It was all I needed for YEARS, and still it was my favorite camera I've ever used. I miss it...</p>

<p>What does your F65 not do that you want it to? Will you be using flash? My picks would be if you want a manual camera get an FE2 or if you want a singing dancing af camera get the F100, both are great to use.</p>

<p>Not sure what you are shooting but if you already have a dslr I would buy a medium format camera.</p>

<p>'I can't really afford an F80 as I just got a D90...'</p>

<p>I don't think anything much cheaper than the F80 (N80) is a worthwhile upgrade. Your F65 already has full manual control, though it will be more fiddly to use than it would on a more expensive camera. Not that the F80 is (or should be) that expensive - check out some dealers and ebay and you may be surprised at how cheap it's become. The F90 (N90) might be an interesting alternative choice - less compatible with modern lenses than the F80, but with a better viewfinder, etc. Unfortunately, it probably goes for about the same price as the F80.</p>

<p>The F90's immediate predecessors are the F801s (N8008s), a slightly improved version of the F801 (N8008). Both these cameras have poorer AF than the F90 or even the F65 (and limited compatibility with modern lenses), but have similar 'semi-pro' construction and viewfinder quality (better than the F65) and should be cheaper than the F80. If your lenses have aperture rings you may find the F801 (or F90) a better fully manual camera than the F65. If they don't (or you want to use AF) stick with the F65 or wait for an F80.</p>

<p>The F100 is much better than any of these cameras, but probably out of your price range. Classic manual cameras like the FM2 and FE2 tend to be rather expensive as well (a good FM2n can go for more than an F100 these days).</p>

<p>N90s/F90x are going for around $95 to $125 in good condition these days. I like the ergonomics of the F100 better (sold an N90s to help pay for an F100 myself), but the N90s/F90x would be a substantial camera.</p>

<p>N90s won't work with VR, and won't work in all modes with G lenses, is a bit of a lump in the hand, but is fine otherwise.</p>

<p>I took a peek at KEH.com and they have the N80 (F80) for $65.00 in EX+ condition. They have the N70 in EX+ coniditon for $76.00. However I think any of the cameras would be fine as long as they work. I own a N80 camera and I think it is pretty good. The manual controls work fine using two wheels for shutter and f/stop. It focuses well using the center of the viewfinder and the matrix meter is very accurate. It's a nice lightweight camera.</p>

<p>The F70 is a step up from the F65 but as noted it has a strange control system. If the F70 is the upper limit of what you can spend consider the F601 (N6006), F801 (N8008), FM, or FE. I have two N6006's that I bought in the 1990's over the N70 because I liked its controls better. I used them as 2nd bodies after I bought an N80 and used them until I went digital in 2006. The FM is manual focus and exposure. The FE is MF and AE.</p>

<p>If you have a good digital camera, you might want to consider getting a nice medium format film camera instead of a 35mm. Mamiya RB67s are dirt cheap on ebay and they are solid workhorse cameras that shoot spectacular images. It's like a 35mm camera on steroids. Great for portraits and landscapes. Digital is better for candids and action.</p>

<p>My suggestion would be to sell your D90 and F65 and pick up a good used F100. They're excellent cameras, and can do just about everything except offer matrix metering with Ai/Ai-S lenses. They work perfectly with AF-S lenses and will allow you to use VR. I'd also recommend the FE or FE2 for full manual bodies. The only drawback to the FE2 is that the meter is hard to read in dim light.</p>

<p>And yes, I own all of the bodies that I've recommended.</p>

<p>My suggestion would be to sell your D90 and F65 and pick up a good used F100. They're excellent cameras, and can do just about everything except offer matrix metering with Ai/Ai-S lenses. They work perfectly with AF-S lenses and will allow you to use VR. I'd also recommend the FE or FE2 for full manual bodies. The only drawback to the FE2 is that the meter is hard to read in dim light.</p>

<p>And yes, I own all of the bodies that I've recommended.</p>

<p>I actually like the interface of the F70. One look at the display and you know exactly what functions are selected. You do need to read the manual (free soft copies available on the net) at least once to figure it out. You can also use manual focus lenses in A mode with metering. Using the QR setting, you can store custom settings for manual and AF lenses, and rapidly select them. It has a built in flash, and the exposure system is similar/identical to the pro F90/X. Its light, but balances large glass like my 80-200mm AF-S nicely. It can handle AFS lenses but there are limitations with G type lenses (that do not have an aperture ring). Its cheap as hell now.</p>