Hasselblad ELM or Bronica SQB. Quandary: which to keep?

trex1

I have both of these wonderful cameras. Each of which I paid about 300 dollars for. The Hassie is well used, but

in very nice shape. It came with a 12 and a 24 back. I really, really like this camera a lot. The Bronica came

with the 80mm PS and is like new. It also came with a 150mm S lens that is very nice.<p> I love the operation of

the Hassie, but not the weight. I love the operation, and lightness of the Bronica, but not the mirror flap,

which shakes the camera when you fire it, unlike the very smooth Hassie mirror flap (has brakes, I believe).<p>I

would really like to hear what you would do and why?

<p>Well Darius, for me that requires very little deliberation. <strong>Keep the Hasselblad</strong> . With so many superb lenses easily affordable now, it's a system to build on. The EL mechanism is built to last. Soon you could add a 500 C/CM body to the system. Then you can quickly put together the outfit best suited to the task.<br /> So, sell the Bronica. Because someday when you <em>do</em> have a 500C to replace it, you won't look back.</p>

<p>Cheers, Jenny.</p>

<p>I would think the Bronica... What do you suppose a mint SQB, and I mean like new, is worth? Or the 150S lens, the 3.5, with some dust in it, but otherwise perfect. No one seems to want an old ELM, especially with a lens with scratches and fogging in it..<br>

The SQB is so much more nimble, quicker to focus, the 150 is small, light, fast and focuses closer than the expensive hassy equivalent.<br>

You can see why I am having trouble making up my mind. <br>

I really like the solidity and feel of the Hassy more than the Bronica, but the Bronica has BIG advantages over the Hassy.</p>

<p>Not too many completed listings on eBay for the SQ-B and the onlty one successfully sold this month went for almost $500. There's more around for sale now though , again at a price of c $500 for the kit. Seems that there are a few bodies around though and some potential buyers will vote for putting together their own kit from components.</p>

<p>People shy away from SQ-Bs for the perceived lack of features relative to the SQ-Ai--something I don't get. I picked up a mint SQ-B kit+speedwinder for just<500 last spring. With MLU, vibration is a non-issue and I've never seen a shot blurred by mirror slap on the Bronica. I'd sell the Hassie due to age and reduced utility--those things are immense compared to the Bronica. Surely there's a drooling Hassie lover waiting to buy your ELM?</p>

<p>Keep the Hasselblad and sell the Bronica. With the money from the complete Bronica set, you can buy a 500CM, a 501C or a 503CX and have money left over. Getting a 503 CXi or a 503 CW would be redundant because you already have a very good motor drive camera.</p>

<p>In the future the Bronica will become harder to service since they are no longer made. The supply of Hasselblads and Hasselblad lenses if very great and the prices of the used equipment has never been lower. Furthermore, if you later want to go digital, there are several choices for the Hasselblad.</p>

<p>Steve</p>

The problem is that whichever I end up selling, the money will go to bills, and not more gear. Also, the chance of finding another mint SQ is not so high. The chance of getting another Hassy in probably much better shape than the one I have now is quite high. It's really an impossible decision.

I meant to add, that for shooting, the Hasselblad seems to be much more intuitive, and flexible. The motordrive makes a huge difference. I can take picture after picture of my daughter while focusing on taking the shot, and not messing with the camera. That is the real reason I am so conflicted. To look at the Hassy it is this unwieldy steel behemoth, and the choice should be easy, but I really think the design is so good that even for such an ancient camera c.1980, it presents a real alternative to a brand new SQB.

<p>You WERE doing apples vs oranges. one of Bronica machine that matches Hass ELM is SQM. So if fast shoot with motor driver is so important for you, you have made your decision alreaday. You should focus on how those machines work for you, not the name and how you feel them. SQB is built for light weight with basic functions that you already mentioned, if this is not one for you, sell it since recently its price increase dramatically. You can sell your unit for around $500. I bought my set -mint sq-ai, with wlf, 45 degree prism, 40mm ps, 80mm ps, 150mm ps, 2 120-i, 2 220-i, one polaroid back and extensible lens hood for $750 two years ago on ebay. So now is real good time for you to sell your SQB.</p>

In terms of age, reliability, practical useability, and any number of other factors, the Bronica is easily the winner, but the fact is, that for me, the Hassy is more fun to use. It's kind of like the choice of buying a brand new Toyota for $3000 or an old Mercedes for the same price.