DPP 3.7 for linux

yakim_peled1

<p>First of all DPP 3.7 is not publicly available on any platform yet. Secondly, there is no native Linux (or any other Unix-ish except Mac) version of DPP AFAIK. Yeah, you can run Windoze emulators on Linux but good luck with that!</p>

<p>I can testify that some applications run very well on Linux under Wine - I use Picture Windows Pro in this way. Make sure you get a recent version of Wine.<br>

As an alternative, you can use Bibble (http://www.bibblelabs.com) or LightZone (http://www.lightcrafts.com/lightzone/) for which a native Linux support is available, but you have to pay for them.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wasn't able to find any version of DPP for Linux, but I've been using UFRaw <a rel="nofollow" href="http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/" target="_blank">http://ufraw.sourceforge.net</a><br />to convert RAW files, adjust curves, noise reduction, etc., under Linux.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<p dir="ltr">I already installed it but for the life of me I can't use it. It opens the RAW files but I have no idea how to continue from there. I searched for a user manual on the net or a FAQ but couldn't find any. I'm talking about a simple one for the most basic things like: To convert a file to other format click on 'File' and then 'Convert and save' (DPP). What I'm looking is some kind of "UFRaw for dummies" handbook. </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can testify that some applications run very well on Linux under Wine - I use Picture Windows Pro in this way. Make sure you get a recent version of Wine.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Where do I get the latest version of Wine? I have Ubuntu 9.04.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br />As an alternative, you can use Bibble (http://www.bibblelabs.com) or LightZone (http://www.lightcrafts.com/lightzone/) for which a native Linux support is available, but you have to pay for them.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Before buying I want to make absolutely sure I have exhausted the current options.</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<blockquote>

<p>More importantly, DPP does work in linux using wine, functionally everything works, but there are some display glitches. The display glitches affect the interface only though and doesn't affect the display of the images.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">So how can I install WINE and DPP?</p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

</p>

</p>

<p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

</p>

<p> </p>

</p>

<p>Yakim, try installing Ubuntu Studio.<br>

It's specifically geared towards media editing (photo, video, audio).<br>

Also, use "synaptic" to install WINE. the repos contain relatively new version.<br>

rubo</p>

<p>P.S. That's exactly why i can't switch to Linux full-time. I need too many Windows programs for work :)</p>

<p>Hello,</p>

<p><em>>> I already installed it but for the life of me I can't use it. It opens the RAW files but I have no idea how to continue from there. I searched for a user manual on the net or a FAQ but couldn't find any. I'm talking about a simple one for the most basic things like: To convert a file to other format click on 'File' and then 'Convert and save' (DPP). What I'm looking is some kind of "UFRaw for dummies" handbook.</em></p>

<p>In my copy of UFRaw I just have a "Save" file near the bottom right corner.<br /> I just press "Save" and it saves a JPEG file with the same name as the original raw file.</p>

<p>You will also find an Icon with a Hard-Drive drawing, that opens a Tab where you can select the type of output file (8/channel bit JPEG or 16bit/channel TIFF/PNG) and configure all output file settings, like compression, filename, etc.</p>

<p>You can also choose to generate an "ID" file where it saves all settings you used to convert each RAW file (curves, white-balance, noise reduction, etc.) and later you can convert it again with some small settings changes.</p>

<p>In my system I have defined UFraw as the default program to open RAW CR2 files.</p>

<p>Generally I only have to double click on the raw file to open in with UFRaw and in most cases I only need to press the "Save" button to convert the file because it remembers all settings used to on the previous RAW file.</p>

<p>However, when I'm converting the first file in a batch, I do as following:</p>

<p>- Open the file.</p>

<p>- White-Balance/Color correction:<br /> Check white ballance (First tab) - It lest's you use the color correction values defined by the camera, but you can choose automatic color correction or manual color correction where you select a rectangle on the picture (over a white/gray area of the image).<br /> You can also correct the colors using direct color temperature values.</p>

<p>- Correct exposure/highlights/shadows:<br /> - In case exposer is wrong, you can can correct it and Add/remove up to +/-3EV (+/- Icon) - it even has an auto-correct exposure button.<br /> - In case you have overexposed, you can choose several methods to clip/recover highlighs (soft/hard/clip/etc.)<br /> - In case you have underexposed, you also have several methods to recover shadow details.<br /> It will show blinking highlights and underexposed parts of the image.</p>

<p>- Noise removal:<br /> When shotting at high ISO, you can select a wavelet noise filter denoise level (I use it when shoting at ISO >= 3200 on a 5D2)</p>

<p>- Black and White convertion: if you want to convert to Black and White, the second tab lets you choose several convetion methods: Lightness/Luminance/Value/Channel Mixer.<br /> Converting to BW using Luminance works very well to remove Chroma noise from high ISO images.</p>

<p>- Apply curves to correct gama / luminosity and saturation. You can use two curves - one on the base image and other applied later after interpolating colours.</p>

<p>- Crop and rotate / rescale the image.</p>

<p>You can also see EXIF data, etc.</p>

<p>In the end just press "Save".</p>

<p>There is a mode to batch process many files at once with the same settings, but I never used it.</p>

<p>Sometimes I later apply some sharpening to the resulting JPEGs using Gimp,<br /> but can also save the output as a 16 bit TIFF file and edit it using "cinepaint" (a 16 bit gimp version).</p>

<p>Overall I'm very happy to have found this program as it let's me do all the post-processing using Linux.</p>

<p>Fernando</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm using UFRaw version 0.15.</p>

<p>The settings dialog on my system is also empty: it just don't use the settings Dialog :-)</p>

<p>If you look to the scrennshots you just posted, there is row of icons above the "Camera WB" button (below the "+/-" Button).</p>

<p>When you select these buttons, it will open different "tab" pages, with all the other settings (curves, file settings, crop/resize, EXIF, etc.)</p>

<p>Fernando</p>

<div>00UVpR-173425584.jpg.4f72e076062a3a0e6a6fb12bb18d1f8f.jpg</div>

<p>I've been lookig at the user manual http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Guide.html<br>

and it seems UFraw ca be build as two versions/modes: the standalone version that saves files<br>

and the plugin version that is used inside gimp.<br>

It seems my version is the standalone version and you are using the gimp plugin version.<br>

If you call it from inside gimp, it will return the output image back to gimp.</p>

<p>Fernando</p>