nothing remarkable from nikon

nazir200_200

<p>this is just to share some thoughts about nikon point and shoots.<br>

currently there is no -'quality digicam ' - from nikon as a back up point shoot !!current models<br>

<strong>cp p6000</strong> or cp <strong>p90</strong> are really crap when comparing with panasonic <strong>LX 3</strong>,OR <strong>canon g10</strong><br>

or <strong>ricoh GR 3.</strong><br>

now even leica introduced thier point and shoot recently<strong>(X1)</strong> along with range finder M9.<br>

as a nikon slr user i myself felt many times that ..nikon should introduce some p&s with<br>

large sensor, 4 or 5x (maximum) zoom lense with internal focus (like old cool pix models), and with<br>

of course image stabilisation. folks ,what do u think?</p>

<p>I have been a Nikon user since 1984-first film and then digital cameras. I still have my Coolpix 5400 and it's still a very good P&S but with only 5MP's, it's hardly a good enough back up for my D90. I currently have an 8MP Sony as my backup but am keeping an eye on Canon's G11. I got the Sony when I couldn't find a single Nikon P&S I liked. I would never let brand loyalty interfere with my photography-I like Nikon (ok-I love Nikon) but it's still just a tool and no more. cb</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...current models <strong>cp p6000</strong> or cp <strong>p90</strong> are really crap..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What did you find lacking in those models when you used them?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...when comparing with panasonic <strong>LX 3</strong> ,OR <strong>canon g10 </strong> or <strong>ricoh GR 3."</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> What features, specifically, did you like about those models when you used them?</p>

<p>I'd have to agree that Nikon P&S are nothing special, though <em>crap</em> is a bit over the top maybe. I too thought Canon was the way for P&S, but my Ixus 70 (which I lost recently, damn those small cameras) never really pleased me either. Very invasive noise reduction, noisy from ISO200 on, flash performance not worth mentioning and loads of CA. And those supersmall cameras are just horrible to keep still....Solid made, though.</p>

<p>From the current serious P&S's, I'd go for the Panasonic LX3. It has acceptable image quality, and a useful zoom range.</p>

<p>lex actually i was insearch of a good digicam from the nikon line up because i was familiar with their terminology and lay out.<br>

BTW i had few occasions handled the LX3 AND p 90 and G10 .<br>

for my way of shooting i was very impressed with the quick responsiveness and low light performance of LX 3 .<br>

i liked the close focussing ability of old coolpix models -for macro wok( CP5400, CP 4500,CP 5700,CP 995) bu the new cp 6000 or p 90 not matching with them at least in this field.my idea of a prosumer digicam should not be a big zoomer or megapixel racer, or a not a technology packed toy with so many unwanted features instead with a reasonably large sensor and a moderate x focal length with IF .<br>

thanks a lot</p>

<p>I would rather Nikon focus (pun intended) on coming out with a few more small/low cost DX primes like the 35F1.8 AFS lens. What's remarkable is that Nikon cannot make enough of these--Adorama and B&H have been mostly sold out since it's introduction way back in March! With a couple of more DX primes the size and cost of the 35F1.8 and Nikon dslr shooters <em>won't need or care</em> about any compacts! What's also remarkable is the number of big gun Canon L on Nikon lens users, who when faced with a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Paris say--elect to leave their 70-200F2.8s, etc, at home in favor of a Canon G10/G11!</p>

<p>In fact, if Nikon came out with a 70F2.0 DX lens--THAT would make a far greater impact on the market imho, than yet another compact.</p>

<p>Wait a couple of years for APS-C sensors to become widely used at the compact level--<em>then</em> get excited over compacts!</p>

<p>Nikon's P&S's tend to be more oriented toward casual photographers who want an easy to use digital camera. Canon tends to produce P&S's with more features that are geared towards more advanced photographers yet still easy enough for casual photographers. For example I gave my wife my Nikon P80 and then got a Canon SX10 IS. My wife who is a very casual photographer loves the P80 because it's so easy to use. Advanced photographers like dedicated buttons for commonly used functions, but the P80 has just about everything in two well laid out menues. My wife finds that easier than remembering which button to use. I prefer the SX10 IS because it is more SLR like, but I'm used to SLR's. Even the SX10 IS' instruction book is longer and more complicated for a casual user than the P80's. My sister-in-law who is a research chemist has an SX10 IS and needed my help to figure out how to use it.</p>

<p>In short the P80 is geared toward someone used to compact P&S's, and the SX10 IS is more geared to someone used to an SLR. That's why most of us prefer Canon digicams even if we prefer Nikon DSLR's.</p>

<p>I picked up a low mileage P6000 quite cheaply. I had read a lot of reports about this camera - not quite <em>all </em> of them unfavourable, btw - but since I use NX2 and have Nikon flash etc thought I'd take a chance on it. Bit of stupid brand loyalty too. Some attributes are pretty awful; optical viewfinder, high ISO noise etc. Just like most P&S's, from what I've read. However shooting RAW at base ISO and converting in NX2 gives surprisingly good results. To call the camera cr@p is nonsense. It's compact and nice and solid too. I just can't stand holding any camera at arms' length though. Must get an M9 next time I pass a shop selling them.</p>

<p>My wife would like a new point and shoot camera, so we have been shopping around for one. At the local Best Buy, the camera sales person was actively discouraging us from buying any of the Nikon offerings, recommending Sony and Canon products. She said that they have had so many returns on Nikon P & S cameras with customers being unhappy with the performance that she'd rather not sell them at all. I have never owned a Nikon P & S; are their offerings really that much inferior to what the competition has out there ?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>are their offerings really that much inferior to what the competition has out there ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Recent Nikon P&S consistently have three issues: (1) Slow AF, (2) noise, and (3) audio is cut off right before the movie ends. While competitions have added fast and wide angle lens, most Nikon P&S still have only a 35mm eq lens at the wide end. The upcoming Canon G11 may be a superb advanced P&S if it addresses its issue of noise, as widely expected. It has a fast 28mm lens, variangle screen plus an optical view finder, built-in ND filter, and many dials to made adjustment easy. It is feature-rich to make it easier for the photographers to take good pictures. What has Nikon done to make their P&S more attractive? In the P6000, they added the world first wireless internet connection to send pictures to Nikon's Picture town and recently they introduced another world's first P&S to have a built-in projector. I am not sure about you, but watching these Nikon offerings, I am seriously worried about the people who are in charge of Nikon R&D for the P&S.</p>

<p>Ronald, my experiences with shops is that the sales people somehow always seem to have one brand of which they say "we get those returned by the millions", regardless of the type of product. The next shop will say the same, but about a different brand....<br>

Point is: most shops are small - if they sell 2 cameras and 1 comes back, it's already a bad brand/product and blablabla. That's a seriously normal reaction of shop floor people (I work in a support organisation, so I've seen a fair share of such discussions). But their "local" figures are usually not a sound indicator of the actual failure rates per brand or per product. They simply sell too little to see that (real) picture. In that perspective, I guess nobody here knows whether Nikon P&S are inferior in that sense. Maybe people working in HQs for larger sales channels?</p>

<p>But like I said before, I find Nikon P&S to be mediocre offerings in terms of image quality, features and price/performance. I'm looking into a compact camera at the moment, and it's either Fuji F200EXR and save some money yet keep decent quality, or Panasonic LX3 and get one of the best compacts at this moment. None of the Coolpixes crossed my mind, frankly.<br>

(in defense of Nikon: the P6000 also had GPS, which is nice for those who think geotagging is really worth something.)</p>

<p>I have the G7 and am pretty happy with it to supplement the D90. But I wish I could use the SB-600 with CLS on the compact. The G11 also sounds amazing.<br>

And about your nikon compact search, maybe this is what you are waiting for:<br>

Well, wanted to post a link to a rumor site, but you will have to search for yourself or wait</p>

<p>My only experience with a Nikon Coolpix was the 8800, back around 2006. A relative used it to take snapshots at a wedding where I was using my D2H and SB-800. Her JPEGs were just as good as mine. Other than composition, poses, my use of flash on a bracket - the sort of differences that come with experience - there was very little difference in quality. I was very impressed with the 8800 after handling it for awhile myself. The VR feature seemed to work well.</p>

<p>But Nikon can't quite seem to figure out what photographers want. Over the years they've made a variety of P&S digicams, something to fill just about every niche that forum warriors claim they want... and every year forum warriors say it ain't what they wanted.</p>

<p>Even the 8400 didn't quite seem to grab the market. It featured a true wide angle focal length in a relatively fast midrange zoom, and an optical viewfinder (my personal preference in a P&S digicam - I'm not a big fan of LCD-only viewfinders).</p>

<p>The most frequent gripe about "bridge" cameras for more than a decade, since the Olympus ZLR concept and comparable models from other makers, is that self-important serious photographers pooh-pooh any camera that doesn't feature interchangeable lenses.</p>

<p>Somewhat ironically, the Nikon D5000 dSLR is about the same size and weight as the Coolpix 8800. But to match some of the benefits of the 8800 you'll need two of Nikon's lower priced VR zooms. If models like the D5000 and D3000 catch on, it'll be tougher for Nikon to find a niche where they can satisfy at least some consumers with the Coolpix lineup.</p>

<p>after coolpix 8800 it seems that nikon simply drop their tradition of ruggedness and quality package in the field of prosumer digicams.it was actually a gradual decline.<br>

lex ,you know this 8800 still in demand in the used market.(at least in asian countries)<br>

now the growing demand towards micro four thids system is may be one of the sign that all DSLR users<br>

quest for a light wieght package as a back up .<br>

we every one like to see a p&s like leica digilux 4, leica x1, sigma DP 2..or lumix LX3 from nikon.(with keeping in mind all thier pros and cons ).</p>