Continuous ink system question on epson 1400

<p>I have a Epson 1400 and since the ink seems to run so fast, I got a CIS for some bulk printing. I got it hooked up ok, but I started printing, and after quite a few sheets, the cartridge in the printer ran out of yellow and light cyan. I noticed a lot of air bubbles in those two lines, so I took the syringes and removed the air bubbles. Now, the ink levels are on their way down on the printing screen, and as far as I can tell, it is pulling the ink from the tanks like it should.<br>

So, I have two questions; Should the ink levels go down on the screen, and what happens when the levels get all the way to empty? I opened one of the bulk tanks after printing for a while and there was a vacume. Should there be a vacume, or should I open the plugs to allow air to come in? I don't like the idea of opening the tanks because the risk of an ink spill goes considerably up.</p>

<p>This is new for me, so any extra tips about bulk ink would help greatly.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

-Jon</p>

<p>I'll attempt some info here, but you are best to ask the maker of your CIS for real answers.</p>

<p>I have a 1400 too, but I have Ebony6 refillable black carts. These auto-reset, as in when the levels go low, they automatically show full. I suspect yours will do the same.</p>

<p>Some systems need a chip reseter. If you didn't get one, you likely don't have this type.</p>

<p>I have seen one system, on the net, that you set the ink button on the printer to reset the level.</p>

<p>The ink levels should go down, that's what the chips do (monitor usage).</p>

<p>Yes, the ink flow is regulated by a vacuum and pressure. This would be normal.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Peter, I just printed some more and the ink went very low and then it read full again.<br>

I don't know about the vacume though. Just a few minutes ago I was printing and when it loaded a page, all it would print was magenta. I ran a nozzel check and the only colors that were really printing were black and magenta. I opened the lids to the tanks and ran a clean cycle, and the other colors started printing again.<br>

Other than that it works ok considering that the ink is not Epson. It puts a few lines in the prints, but since I'm running a large printing, it doesn't really matter.<br>

Thanks for the help,<br>

-Jon</p>

<p>for at least those reason, thats why i dont use such a system, im sure some user like it, but i have so much more thing to do vs trying to understand how to remove air bubble, resetting a chip, fighting with color innacuracy etc... i know i know it doestn help you now, but i just have to point it out ; )</p>

<p>Actually, it prints almost as good as Epson ink and the only difference I see is in the blues and greens. With this ink the blues look better, and the greens have more blue in them. But believe me, I'm not doing this large of printing on an ink jet printer again...lol.<br>

If I was printing photo quality I would rather use epson ink for the one reason of lasting almost 100 years without fading!<br>

I don't know the name of the system but the link is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-CISS-CIS-Ink-for-epson-1400_W0QQitemZ350250909238QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Toner?hash=item518c94be36&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262">here</a> . They say it is the highest quality ink available today, and that it is UV resistant. But according to my printing, there are a few lines that wasn't there with epson ink.<br>

-Jon</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>I have been using a CIS for a month and it has paid for itself in the first week with excellent results. If you experience a colour shift, then simply adjust the settings in the printer ink profile (which for my brand of inks was barely required (a magenta -2 in my case and that is being pedantic). I am most impressed. </p>