Pics of my baby girl in hospital - what lens(es)

paul_runnoe2

<p>My first baby is scheduled via C-Section this Sept 21. I have talked to the doctor and have gotten permission to bring my camera and even setup a tripod. I don't really know the dimensions of the room, but my objective is to get some video as the baby comes out, then follow the baby down the hall where they will clean her up since my wife will remain on the operating table to be stitched up.</p>

<p>My first thought was to use my fast long lens for a small depth of field so that the baby 'pops' out in the video and pictures. I suppose I will have to see when I get to the room. Then it occurred to me that following down the hallway to the cleanup room, I'll probably want a wide lens so that I can follow closely without worrying about minimum focus issues.</p>

<p>What I think I will do is start with the long lens mounted on a tripod and set for a static video scene when the baby comes out so I can get in the video, the swap to the wide for going down the hall and baby back with mom.<br />I am working with the following: The high-iso capabilities of the Canon 5D II. Canon 17-35mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, Rode stereo video mic, and tripod with ballhead, Canon 550 EX Speedlite.</p>

<p>Any pointers and tips on shooting in this type of environment. My thought is to keep the flash in the bag, white balance the room, and just shoot in available light with the microphone mounted on the shoe. Maybe the 50 1.8 will be just the ticket and not worry about lens swapping?</p>

<p>congratulations</p>

<p>first of all this. If you really want to have all that have someone else do it for you. I've worked a short stint in a delivery room as a mandatory part of my training and have worked for some years in a OR. From long experience I can tell you that most of these expecting fathers get caught up in fiddling around with their gear while their attention would be better directed elsewhere. Believe me, there is a real risk it will happen to you as well and it's not worth it because if you do you'll miss out on one of the most important events in your life.</p>

<p>Technically there is no need to worry. When doing a Caesarian the important part is flooded with Xenon or LED light. As far as your lenses are concerned I would advise the 17-35mm.</p>

<p>Hey, thanks for the hands-on tip. I want the video to run while the baby comes out so I can say hello to my daughter, and cut the cord. It will be on a tripod and just be running in the background so I can get some video of the three of us and not be a distraction to myself or the staff.</p>

<p>My thought is the 70-200 can get a decent cropping of all of us and be far enough away to not get in the way of the hospital staff. I can only imagine the 17-35 on a tripod is going to have to be placed close enough to be a trip or knock down hazard. Again, I suppose that I will just have to assess the room once we get in as there should be plenty of waiting time before everything happens.</p>

<p>Are you daft?</p>

<p>Forget about all this techy stuff, you will NOT be doing all of this, you will be tending to your partner, most likely in tears and the last thing you (or your partner) need as a souvenir of this fantastic moment is a video that looks like a tandoori gone wrong. The most rewarding sight, and the real story in this situation is going to be the expression on your partner's face when the baby is handed over to her. Before that its all just a struggle and likely a mess.</p>

<p>I carried a small Canon G9, took some short video clips, enough jpgs to capture the hand over action, and was able to focus all my attention on my partner. And she needed it.</p>

<p>In the delivery room theres not much room for faffing about, and you dont want some clunking big set up, rather I suggest a low-key approach and a small unobtrusive device that will be easy for a nurse or attendant to use for you should the need arise. Or simply the 5D2 and wide lens and nothing else.</p>

<p>Whatever you 'think' you'll be doing photographically during this, I suspect you will be doing quite a lot besides! </p>

<p>And good luck - its a memorable experience, just dont lose sight of your partners and baby's needs in all of it!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>how is a Canon G9 in the hand less obtrusive than a tele lens on a tripod working silently from twenty feet across the room?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I dont know about your delivery room but ours (very modern and in a state of art hospital)was very very small - smaller than you'd imagine. There was little room for tripods, and even my presence created some problems given the attachment of drips, monitors, and other medical kit to my partner, plus midwife and assistant jumping about, and a doctor when we had real difficulties (so four of us around the bed). The wee Canon was handy to set on a table or have round my neck, it could be used quickly (and was) by either me or a nursing staff member for either video or stills, and I only needed one hand to operate it and could keep the other hand with my partner.</p>

<p>I think you underestimate whats going to be going on in the labour suite even if it all goes well - which I sincerely hope it does. If it does - then terrific, but if it does not and the staff are in the way of your set-up-tripod-video-kit then you'll get pictures of the staff's backs and bottoms and nothing else.</p>

<p>You may do as you wish of course - but having gone through the experience myself recently all I'm suggesting is that you use something that is easy to use without thinking by either you or a nurse, can be used with one hand, and easily got out of the way if needs be. The bottom line is that the success of the video/stills has less to do with the technical accomplishment of the setup and great deal more to do with your involvement with your partner, her relaxed and successful delivery of your daughter, and your sheer enjoyment of the whole spectacle - its amazing, and I just would not want your desire to record all this in the most technically proficient way possible to interefere with what is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.</p>

<p>Whatever you do - enjoy it. I wish you well, and congratulations on 'almost' being a dad!</p>

<p>My Humble Advice.</p>

<p>I filmed my 1st childs C-Section. The last thing on your mind will (and should) be "the technicals". Take a <strong>fully automatic</strong> whatever ... point the fully automatic whatever at the baby and push the little button on the top right (they will almost all get great results).</p>

<p>Please don't forget to take in every second of this miracle ... live in that moment while it lasts, it is beautiful. Hold your wife's hand, tell her she is beautiful, tell her thanks for her love and the gift of the child you share.</p>

<p>BTW, Congratulations.</p>

<p>My wife and I had the good fortune of having a midwife-attended homebirth 2-1/2 years ago. I had planned on setting up a tripod beforehand and taking many photos as the birth progressed. Instead, I got so caught up in the event that the midwife had to remind me post-partum to get out my camera, which at that time was a Canon AE-1. I managed to take a few tungsten lit, reasonably well focused shots of my wife and daughter, and the midwife took one or two poorly focused shots of the three of us. But even these few far less than technically perfect images captured beautifully the euphoria that my wife was experiencing with the arrival of our daughter. And in retrospect, I realized that it was far more important for me to have participated in our daughter's birth than to have been a spectator from the "sidelines."</p>

Speaking from experience, in the OR I'd recommend no flash, no video, and no tripod, you're part of the action: take a

small, fast wide angle on a camera with an auto mode that you can hand off to the nurse or anaesthetist to snap a few

pics. You can use the rest in the mom's room but spare the flash.

<p>Naturally, use a Lensbaby.</p>

<p>I'm with some of the others on this one. You really ought to be a participant and not an observer, rather like you were when all this got started. IMO, you should see it through. YMMV, though.</p>

<p>This thread is sounding a bit like the old PJ joke about two shooters talking in a 3rd world country where one says 'I saw an old woman today that's homeless and hadn't had anything to eat for a week', so the other one said 'what did you give her', and the first one says 'f/8 at 1/125 with a little bit of fill'.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There is going to be a lot of traffic around the room. If your camera is set up on a tripod 20 feet away, you're going to get the backs of all of the nurses and doctors. Take a point and shoot or a simple setup. I personally like the 50mm option. Be part of the action! This is your child we're talking about. Frankly, you're not gonna wanna see the nitty gritty of the process let alone have pictures of it. How does your wife feel about all of this?</p>

<p>John MacPherson, that was hilarious, I am still cracking up from your reply. As a matter of fact, I can't stop laughing. But seriously, as a nurse and a photographer, I have to agree with most of the responses: A little point and shoot camera with video mode is more than enough. Enjoy.<br>

Herma</p>