Summilux M, 50mm version 1

chris_raney1

<p>I've been combing through the forum posts attempting to piece together the story of just how desirable, or undesirable, the earliest version of this lens is. My local camera shop has one of these little doggies in the window I've been drooling over for quite some time. It appears very clean and not extensively used, and according to my Pots (or is it Putz?) book it was manufactured in 1959, the lens's introductory year. I know they discontinued this design after only two production years, but most certainly this original design must have its merits.</p>

<p>I'm interested in a low-light lens for night shooting. And since I'll be using this lens wide-open most of the time its reputed lack of contrast won't present a problem for me. As with my 90mm Tele-Elmarit and 35mm Summicron ASPH I'll screw a K-2 equivalent filter on its nose and leave it there.</p>

<p>But from what I've been reading using filters and hoods in combination sometimes presents a problem with this early Summilux. Is there much truth to this rumor? </p>

<p>And please, for those of you kind enough to respond to this post don't attempt to steer me toward any other manufacturer of camera lens. For me it's Leica precision and quality, or nothing.</p>

<p>And no...for those of you who would ask, a used ASPH version of this lens is just not within range of my budget. But is this clean, 50 yr old lens worth the shop owner's thousand-dollar asking price?</p>

<p>As for the filters and hoods, the original Leica filters are necessary to fit under the original Leica hoods. That's not such a concern as getting a good lens. I have an early second version chrome with the same body, and I went with the filter and hood to match. It's a great lens. I agree that $1,000 is a bit steep for a version 1.</p>

<p>Seems to me that $1K is too much. Check some other sources for comparison. But when you can get something much more recent for less, I'd think about that. Also, for a thousand bucks you should be able to go into the shop and make some test shots with the lens. </p>

<p>I tested a 35 summilux years ago, made a picture of my wife, one of the sharpest nicest images I have of her, wide open. Now why didn't I buy that lens? </p>

<p>I have the 50 Summicron DR from '58. It's such an amazing lens, and the tooling of it is absolutely delightful.</p>

<p>I actually did take some pics inside the shop with this lens wide open. Sorry, still don't have a functioning scanner or I'd upload an image. I was impressed with the images it got.</p>

<p>Something I forgot to mention...this owner will allow me to lay-away this lens. I purchased into my Leica system last year when I was flush with cash from working summer school. Now that the year is in full swing this nickle-and-dime approach is the only way I'll achievable the goal of having a Summilux in my camera bag in time for Spring Break in Manhattan.</p>

<p>And yeah, I know. The second version of this lens can be had on eBay for this price, or less. But there is something to be said about actually fondling an expensive item before one plops down the money.</p>

<p>See if you can find a late Canon LTM 50 f 1.4. I have an early Summilux and the Canon and prefer the Canon. It is a bit lighter and easier to focus. For the $1,000 or less, you can also buy much better current 50 1.4 lenses than the ver.1 Summilux. Take a look at Raid Amin's tests of the various 50's and you'll see some interesting and unexpected results on just how good the current new 50's are.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I think the Type 2 pre-aspherical summilux was much improved over the years, by improving the coatings, even though the formula didn't change. If you are going to be shooting at night, those improved coatings will be valuable to you in the form of increased flare resistence. I think a more recent Leica pre-asph will fit your budget and give you better results. I own and use the most recent pre-asph and it gives consistently good results.</p>