Is this flare that I am seeing ??

<p>Hi all,<br /><br />I have about fifteen years experience in looking at negatives trying to figure out, why a certain print looks like it does - but this one really is beyond me. Here are the facts:</p>

<ul>

<li>Camera: Leica M3</li>

<li>Lens: uncoated Elmar 90/4.0</li>

<li>Lens hod: FIKUS (this is the "proper" hood. It is round and quite deep)</li>

<li>Filter: None</li>

<li>Film Kodak BW400CN</li>

<li>Exposure: 1/1000 - F4.0 or 5.6</li>

<li>Light: relatively bright sunlight (Early afternoon, August in Europe). If I myself was looking at 12 o'clock on a dial, it would have come from about 10 o'clock</li>

<li>Development and printing: Fuji Frontier minilab - Scanning on a Nikon Coolscan IV ED which takes of a little bit along the sides of the negative </li>

<li>The two "bands" on either side clearly happened at exposure - they only extend minimally beyond the borders of the frame (the black areas at each end) and do not appear on the images before and after (which were shot in different light and angles, it must be said)</li>

</ul>

<p>I have only seen this happen once before, at that was a couple of years ago using an uncoated Hektor on the same camera without hood in bright sunlight.<br /><br />What bothers me is that the shape of the phenomenon does not look like anything that I have ever seen before. Both cases were shot at 1/1000, so I was contemplating a shutter fault, but the shutter travels horizontally, so that would give vertically oriented flaws, I would expect.<br /><br />Has anyone seen this before - or can offer a likely explananation ??<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />Soeren</p><div>00UVL7-173203984.jpg.fde56f7b49f02e15a32b6ff02b7fa006.jpg</div>