Cases - Pelican

bob_schueler

<p>I read previous posts and didn't see anything, so here goes:<br>

I need a workhorse case that will hold 3 bodies, cameras that is ;), 6 to 8 lens from fisheye to tele; 5 strobes, 3 pocket wizards, an SD-9 and a Quantum 2x2 Turbo, a variety of batteries, straps, CF cards, reflector, expodisk, filters, lightmeter, cables, chargers, etc. A ton of gear, basically. Yes, I need all this gear at once and yes, I know it'll be heavy, but in many of the areas I traverse, I can only practically make one trip.<br>

The pelican 1660 with dividers looks OK, but it looks deep and I don't want my cameras to bounce around. Would foam be better? . . .or perhaps know of a better option?<br>

Thanks<br>

Bob</p>

<p>Get dividers: once you learn to pack it, nothing will bounce around, not even the small stuff (or get a lid pocket.) You know, snug compartments for bodies, flashes and longer lenses together in one compartment, small lenses and other small stuff layered on top, etc. Foam inserts are good for a small set of bigger pieces (bodies + lenses, etc.) but not IMO if you need to carry lot of small doodads.</p>

<p>Howard has a really good point. I have one camera bag that holds everything but is almost too heavy to lift and carry.</p>

<p>Nice touch on the bodies, though. I have an old Louis Vuitton steamer trunk that would hold 3 bodies (not cameras) or close to it.</p>

<p>Bob, I use three different size Pelican hard cases exclusively when I need a hard case. The weight is the only issue but lighter cases like Storm and Seahorse compromise durability for weight in my opinion. I always feel that if need be the Pelican case could withstand being mishandled in regular baggage or drop kicked on to the aircraft after getting checked at boarding when I am on a smaller aircraft. I had started with foam and moved to using dividers because I get more efficient use of space. I have a colleague who is a National Geo traveling pro who uses a non wheeled 1600 with the inner panels taken out leaving the side panel padding only. The he uses wraps to protect the gear and can get more space than with the inner dividers. My large wheeled 1610s with dividers are not as deep as your 1660 but may be able to accommodate your needs including a long lens especially if you use wraps. I always add clothing to the case if I need to fill in the gaps. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>foam is the better method....but be prepared to replace it occassionally. it does break down and starts to crumble. the dividers work better if you use small bubblewrap to fill in the empty spaces. For that much equipment, i'd probably recommend two cases also......there is the occasional set of stairs one has to go up or down......killer stuff if the case is too heavy. Pelican cases by themselves weigh a ton.....add the gear....and you're talking torture.</p>

<p>If you get a Pelican 1660, by all means get the partition kit, and probably the lid kit (pouches) too. The pick-and-pluck foam is best suited for large items which need a lot of padding for shipping and will see limited use. You can't pack things very densely, because it's hard to form thin partitions and they tear out easily with use. It does offer great protection, and I used my 1680 to ship backup gear throughout China.</p>

<p>Unless you need to ship something, I recommend you get a standard roller. A Pelican case is bulky and very heavy. The latches are knuckle-busters. A LowePro Pro Roller II is about the same size or larger and weighs less than half as much empty. The liner can be lifted out as a unit, so you can have several configurations at the ready. LowePro rollers come with a lot of extra partitions. I've had mine for years - it's built very well with skate-wheel rollers.</p>

yeah....packing a foam filled pelican......actually if I remember correctly, Pelican recommends 2 inches of foam between everything. meaning sides of case, between every item top, bottom, and sides. So it really does spread out quite a bit for a lot of gear. but, that kind of spacing and packing is pretty much guaranteed to survive the worse of airline gorilla handling.

<p>I've only used dividers in one of the smaller cases, but it seems to work well. I have one larger one that I've hauled around and back several times; in the end, I removed most of the central foam anyway. The thing about the pick-and-pluck foam is that, with fair use, one nib will start to strip off; then, you end up pulling it off; next one, and the next one, and so on. I now have a large central hole in the bigger Pelican because I gave up on the custom foam real early.</p>

<p>Having dragged that thing, literally, half a mile across the dirt at a time, one too many times; well, I travel lighter now. You will sweat dragging it all around. Hope for semi-permanent digs.</p>

<p>It had two wheels on it. They made well-grooved trails in the dirt.</p>

<p>Where's my limo driver?</p>

<p>I'd really recommend the two bag approach: one for what you actually need; and one for what you'd like to set on fire, rather than having to drag it another half mile. Unfortunately, the Pelican case is probably also flame resistant; so, Plan B may not work out too well. Don't set your luggage on fire in frustration. Just leave the stuff you want at home, and bring what you use daily. You'll be much happier.</p>

<p>Bon Voyage. J.</p>

<p>The custom foam looks real nice when you've packed the case neatly for the first time. Ever had those departures that looked like a chimpanzee on a rampage threw it all in there? Need a fat person to sit on the suitcase? It happens. Over-strict approaches will require more maintenance time. They look great; and, they often work out lousy. Some padding, and plenty of flexibility will work out better. Maybe dividers. Your sanity might thank you.</p>

<p>I settled for the foam because dividers cost more and there was a two week lead time. The foam was in stock and I couldn't risk a late delivery for my China trip.</p>

<p>The Pelican divider set still has 2" of foam at the top and bottom. With that massive outer case, you risk more damage from one piece colliding with another than from "airline gorillas". Dividers keep things separated nicely without taking up a lot of space.</p>

<p>After having cut up my foam insert beyond recovery for different sized equipment (which is changing from year to year), I got rid of the foam insert and now place my equipment in 4 or 5 small padded bags (Culmann, I bought them second hand; They have independent shoulder straps which makes them ready to go once the Pelican case is opened). The Cullman and other small bags are placed into the bare Pelican case.</p>

<p>The size of the small bags fit neatly into the Pelican, without internal movement of the small padded cases upon closing and carrying the outer case. I find this near to optimum for both convenience and equipment protection.</p>