SLX power debugging; Fuse, charger mismatch?

gabe_joynt

<p>Hello, I am the new owner of a Rolleiflex SLX (2) which I'm having trouble charging. Your help sincerely appreciated so I can enjoy this splendid camera. Here's what's going on:</p>

<ul>

<li>The camera came with a battery, but no charger. The previous owner powered up the battery for about 20 minutes so I could test the camera, but the charge has run out. He had two SLX's and one charger. The camera tested fine. </li>

<li>I bought a replacement charger from KEH, sold in Excellent condition which ought to mean it works. It is marked "Rollei Charger G for SLX/6006. </li>

<li>I plugged in the charger and placed the battery into the charger. No lights turned on. Left it like this for 5 minutes or so. </li>

<li>The battery charger has 4 pins at the bottom. The battery has six holes to accept pins. When I seat the battery into the charger it feels like it seats correctly -- it doesn't snap into place, but it feels like it's in there properly. </li>

<li>I then (domp!) examined the charger some more, and saw that it has a widget to switch between voltages. </li>

<li>It was set to 110/115. I am in the USA, so I believe it should have been set to 120/127. The other options are 110V, 200V, 220V, 230/240. I tried 220 as well, recalling the scene in Mr. Mom where he says "220, 221, whatever it takes."</li>

<li>I re-set it to 120 and tried again for 90 minutes. No lights turned on, no charge seems to have been made. No heat, weird noises, house did not burn down. </li>

<li>I then (domp!) examined the battery some more and saw there is a fuse in it. </li>

<li>Perhaps I blew the fuse when it was set to 110?</li>

<li>The fuse has a small wire running across the inside of it -- I wouldn't guess it's blown by the looks of it, but what do I know? </li>

<li>I then (domp!) examined the cord which runs from the outlet to the charging box; It says 70 / 2.8A / 128V. </li>

<li>If the previous owner had it set to 110/115, perhaps this is the wrong cord? </li>

<li>Perhaps the charger is busted? The fact that it was left on 110 seems to suggest that KEH might not have tested it, does that sound correct? KEH is located in Atlanta USA.</li>

</ul>

<p>I have a few days left on the charger warranty and wonder if I should send it back.<br>

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice. </p>

<p>

<p>After re-reading the manual... I realize I had been looking at the spare fuse. No matter, the fuse within the battery seems fine as well there is one filament running diagonally with a small clump in the middle. <br>

After I got the camera home and it sat a few days, I loaded film and then tried it again -- perhaps I loaded the film incorrectly and the flash blew? That would explain things, but the flash does not look blown to me.</p>

</p>

<p>Gabe,<br>

Charging - or determining the level of charge - for the SLX/6000 series camera can frustrate anyone. So, don't despare just yet. If you want, email me and I'll try to help.<br>

In the mean time, search the site for battery information. You find many sections about the battery and chargers.<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/?category=Rollei">http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/?category=Rollei</a><br>

Joe</p>