Getting Lightroom to import RAW only?

<p>Is there a way to get the Lightroom "Import from Device" interface to import only RAW images on my camera, not JPGs? I've been shooting RAW and enjoying the benefits, but I don't enjoy having to guess at how the processed image will look. I can get the Nikon on-camera stuff to be pretty close to how I want things to look, so I'd like to shoot in RAW+JPG mode so my LCD gives me the JPG image, closer to what I want. Then I can redo/refine it from the RAW in Lightroom. This is particularly the case for shooting BW, because the Nikon BW mode actually looks very good - just not as good as what I can do in Lightroom. I'd love to have my LCD showing me the BW images while saving the RAWs! But I don't want to import duplicates, either.</p>

<p>the RAW file format has a jpg buit-in, nothing you can do about that. That is what you see on the back of the camera and in most any RAW converter until the converter finishes it's conversion.</p>

<p>You can extract that jpg or remove it totally after the fact using something like exiftool or whatever else.</p>

<p>When Lightroom "imports" a file, it does not move, copy or alter the original file. It merely creates a thumbnail and enters it into a database of other thumbnails. You should copy all the files in the camera (preferably from the card using a card reader) to an hard drive, and import to Lightroom from that directory. Once everything is backed up, reformat the card in the camera.</p>

<p>You can open the folder and select just those files you wish to import. For example, you can use a wild card (*.NEF) to display only the RAW files and select all (ctl-A). I prefer to keep NEF, JPEG, and other files in subdirectories of that name, using these tools to select and move files as needed. Even if you import different versions of the same image, you can elect to display only selected file types.</p>

<p>Each RAW file has an embedded JPEG which is nothing more than a thumbnail for convenience. Shooting in the RAW+JPEG mode is different.</p>

<p>If you don't want to import everything in a particular folder, open the folder and select which files you wish to import. There are no defaults as to which file extensions to look at. You have to take charge. If you wish to have a well-ordered data base of images, you also have to specify which drive and folder they will be copied to.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You can extract that jpg or remove it totally after the fact using something like exiftool or whatever else.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This was true back in the days of embedded jpegs. Now, if you shoot in RAW+jpeg, you get two files, both of which LR will download, which is the poster's issue.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When Lightroom "imports" a file, it does not move, copy or alter the original file.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you read the question, you will understand what he is asking. He is talking about "Import from Device" in LR which imports the files on the card to the disk(s) on the computer. This <strong>does</strong> move the original file.</p>

<p>To answer the original poster's question, if you are going to import from the card using Lightroom, you can check the box in Preferences for the Import option "Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photo". Then, when you get the import dialogue box after connecting the computer to the card or the camera, you will see all the raw and jpeg files and you can manually uncheck the jpeg files. Alternatively, you can uncheck that same box, do your import, go into the import folder, sort by file type, and delete the jpegs. Unfortunately, there is no way in the import dialogue to specify import by file type.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=19592">Jeff Spirer</a> answered the question correctly and understood what the OP was asking. Unfortunately there's no way to filter non Raw's for import and as Jeff pointed out, the solution at this time is to use that import preference and manually delete the JPEGs. Or just don't shoot JPEG in the first place. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• 9 months later...
<p>I'm a bit late to the party on this one but I was recently trying to figure out the same thing so thought I'd share what I found out. I'm using a 40D so not sure if or how this works with Nikon. I only shoot in RAW, and when I want to see how an image will look in b&w I set my Picture Style to monochrome. The LCD will show the monochrome image (or whatever the Picture Style is set to), but the image itself will be captured in RAW with all the color detail. This eliminates the need to shoot in RAW+JPG mode. Also, to make it easy to switch in and out of different Picture Styles without navigating through several menus I've placed the Picture Style option on the customizable "My Menu". </p>