Focus

blithelydoubting

<p>Large aperture for shallow depth of field and a combination of the photographer knowing how to use the equipment. I looked for the EXIF on this image and checked the details tab, but this photographer didn't give info. You could alway email David and ask him any questions you might have and I'll bet he's more than willing to help...worth a try.</p>

<blockquote>

<p ><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2490037"><em>Gilbert Spears</em></a><em> </em><a href="../member-status-icons"></a><em>, Sep 06, 2009; 12:44 a.m.</em><br>

<em>How does one get focus like this: </em><a rel="nofollow" href="../photo/9529194&size=md"><em>http://www.photo.net/photo/9529194&size=md</em></a><br /><em>Is it the photographer or the equipment? I don't get it. I never seem to get such clear photos.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Gilbert, a quick look tells me that there has been quite a bit of photoshopping done on the shot.<br>

First off, human skin has pores. This girl has that "Barbie doll" look that so many "experts" seem to think is a key to fine potrariture.<br>

Also, the girl's eyes have been sharpened, as has her teeth and lips. These are all classic retoucher's tricks. <br>

I'd love to see the original, unretouched photo, then we could see what's what.<br>

A problem with all retouching is that if I can tell it's been retouched at first glance, then the whole effect is lost.<br>

But to answer your question, it's neither the focus or the equipment, it's the gobs of retouching.</p>

<p>Bill P.</p>

<p>hi gilberto,<br>

the following picture in your gallery seems to have used a shallow depth of field, although your focusing is not quite right unless you are going for the flattering look - http://www.photo.net/photo/9719092<br>

if you are using autofocus, you might need to tell the camera exactly which area you would like to focus on. in manual focus, provided that you are happy to go manual might be easier. i took some interest in your picture of the tap. the tap seems to be in focus so i expect that you have had success in this type of photography. the best way to approach this would be to get everything right in the 'camera-side' first. this would come from shooting more. there would come a point when every picture would come out like the tap rather than the baby one. then you know that you are in control.<br>

after getting the camera side right, think about using some of the simple blur based tools in photoshop for areas that you don't want to be in sharp focus. play with highlights and lowlights. presently, my main model is dark skinned. reducing highlights brings on a very interesting sense of gritty reality. personally, i like sharp faces and not the soft glow out of focus look in portraits.</p>