Does anyone else have a Tele-Takumar 300mm 6.3?

smc1

<p>I just received one in 'as new' condition... and just added its first scratch trying to put the tripod ring on it. <br /> It's humungous! And very cool - the aperture is like butter, focusing is takumar smooth and its look good so far - night fell before i could test it out much.. I'll add some pics here tomorrow.</p>

<p>Let me know if you've actually used this lens - no 'back seat' commentators, please.</p>

<p>The below photo is wide open, unedited from raw, just shrunk to 20%. I ran out and just had time to (almost) focus..... </p><div>00UQFR-170517684.jpg.e575bb0ab04064b9602352d6a553959c.jpg</div>

<p>I own one but have ony used it with my spotmatic. Mine is the preset type of lens. As far as I know all of the 300mmm F6.3 were preset lenses. So yours is probally identical to mine. Mine is also close to mint and I always keep it in the hard case it came in.<br>

What did you want ot know?</p>

<p>I have one of these. The price was right but I later discovered that the lens is supposed to have a tripod collar. It doesn't look very bright on any screw mount Pentax camera. I have a Spotmatic II and a Spotmatic F. My favorite camera to use it on is a Minolta X-700 with the correct adapter and with a grid or plain matte screen. I have also used it on a Canon F-1 with an adapter and with the L D focusing screen. </p>

<p>There is nothing outstanding about this lens to me in terms of image quality. I feel that you can do just as well with a modern 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 auto focus zoom. But this Takumar is really really a fun lens to use. Also since it it an all manual lens it makes you think about the shot before you click the shutter. It is well built and a Joy to focus and set the F stop. Most good photos are taken by good photographers. The camera and lens used has much less to do with the end result then most people think.<br /> PS I like your shots. The first one I thought was a B&W until I looked at it better. It shows a good shot does not even need color OR proper focus to be a good shot. The second shot is just so-so in my opinion but thanks for posting it.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Well I'm with Brian - this lens is <strong><em>fun</em></strong>!<br>

I got it off of Ebay for about A$100 all-up. - it is yet another part of what is becoming a fairly extensive m42 Takumar collection. It is, imho, by far the funnest lens of the lot . . but maybe thats just my photographic inclination manifesting... <br>

A few more pics from it are here: <br>

<a href="http://scottmacraecollingwood.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21">http://scottmacraecollingwood.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21</a></p>