M9 full specs leaked

hultstrom1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Re: X-1, Leica probably looked at the Pen and figured most people who use the D-LUX 4 wide angle may go for it.... how much more difficult would it have been to make lenses interchangeable? I do not think it would be a true competitor for the M9, not having a view- or rangefinder at all. Probably will have a $400 accessory viewfinder ;/</p>

<p>My reaction to Kelly's comment:<br>

The rapid improvement in technology in digital cameras and the ridiculous cost/depreciation, is why I only have one DSLR which I bought used (D300, $1000), and four film cameras, all of which are appreciating.</p>

<p>The M9 looks to be what we wanted 2 years ago. A full frame digital M7. Now we have it. I think Leica have been very careful to size the sensor so that there is no correction to their lens geometry. This is reall good news for those who buy have Leica lenses and expect investment protection.</p>

<p>The ISO range of 80-2500 is also exactly where 99% of Leica M users are used working, so all that exposure IP thats in our heads is not upset. You could put down your M7 and pick up an M9 and not change much that you do, so the transition will be so easy.</p>

<p>It's all right,but...what about image quality? The samples in that PDF are,IMHO, at best...ok. Lacks contrast and definition. Iknow there a thing about "the Leica way of shooting"and all that stuff,but when it comes to the IQ alone... I truly have doubts...<br>

What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>It's all right,but...what about image quality? The samples in that PDF are,IMHO, at best...ok. Lacks contrast and definition. Iknow there a thing about "the Leica way of shooting"and all that stuff,but when it comes to the IQ alone... I truly have doubts...<br>

What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>Kelly, what a beautiful essay reviewing the progress of computers, particularly as they relate to camera capacities. Thank you, and I am encouraged to consider the large files of the M9. But I am so pleased with the simple and beautiful effects of the M8.2 in JPEG Fine at 9 x 14, that I would hesitate to change. But it is great to hear from someone so knowledgeable and articulate.</p>

<p>I looked at "The Brochure" and assume it is the real thing. And I looked at the section showing the M cameras: M7, MP, M9. But where is M8.2? Is it gone from production? If so, bad behavior by Leica, since I love it and have no desire for an M9. I will buy another M8.2 instead. Help!</p>

<p>Will swap my M8 for the M9 as soon as I can. But fear Guido is correct- there will be no market for used M8s at all.... Hope Leica offers some kind of trade-in program<br>

By the way, the brochure reminds me of an old advert for peri-peri chicken: <a href="

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Yo digiheads!<br>

Once you get it into P-shop, what difference does it make about the chromatic aberration of the lens or the speed of the auto-focus? Not picking on Leica, a well-respected and earned-name back when optics and art mattered in photography, but the 2012 version of 'digital cameras' will be a by-pixel, aspect-ratio, ISO-selectable, color-saturation-hue-selectable 'framing box' whose function is to capture whatever is exposed to the silicon so the gear-heads can keep my Benefactor Steve Jobs in business. Now anyone in ATL will be able to go out and shoot 'Half-dome at Yosemite' in their backyard (at least on the North side of town; from anywhere else w/realtime sat downlink, regardless of weather or illumination. Or morning at K2, whatever.) <br>

As a hobby with an 'I was there' gratification 'photography' will continue to run its course. I feel the ' I was there' factor is going to matter more to GrandMa and GrandDad than NationalGeo. (again, props to NationalGeo phototogs, the absolute best in the business, who continually re-define the 'standards' for excellence for the Art as it is today.)<br>

We're going to have to factor in the 4th dimension; from capturing the 'moment' to capturing the 'moments'. Photography will pass to daguerreotype as an art form, and as style has replaced substance everywhere I can see, 2-dimensional art will be replaced by 3.5 dimensional art (time).<br>

Canon/Nikon (I don't know about about Leica - anyone with more into please reply; I heard about a Leica (maybe) that would shoot continuous frames around an event in order to capture the event itself (whales breaking wind, 8-year olds breaking wind at home plate, you know the drill). If true, a brave, forward-thinking move.</p>

<p>Sorry, this was NOT an appropriate place for this question. I am NOT dinging Leica. I just don't now all the 'hidden forums' for non-vendor-specific bitching......<br>

br</p>

<p><em>The samples in that PDF are,IMHO, at best...ok. Lacks contrast and definition</em><br>

<em></em><br>

The PDF (just as with all online brochures) has web sized images, not meant for printing. Otherwise it'd be in hundreds of megabytes in size, or bigger. As for contrast, that's all very subjective - to me it looks good. I am now for the first time considering buying some Leica M equipment.</p>

<p><em>Once you get it into P-shop, what difference does it make about the chromatic aberration of the lens or the speed of the auto-focus? Not picking on Leica, a well-respected and earned-name back when optics and art mattered in photography, </em><br>

<em></em><br>

Optics matter a great deal in photography today. Although you can to a degree correct CA in post-processing, the result of such algorithms is never the same as with a CA-free lens in the first place.</p>

<p>Guys, guys, guys . . . technology does not always aim at making our lives easier or better but also shrinking our pockets. M8 and M8.2 are both perfectly capable cameras. If Winongrand had an M8 he would leave behind him a few million shots, but he would still be Winongrand.<br>

Grab your cameras and get out shooting . . . invest in your photographic vision. It is much more rewarding than changing your gear every year or so.<br>

my 2c</p>

<p>ah Tom, I didn't know you bought a new one.. anyway Nondas is right, your M8 is still a very capable camera (and IMO the smaller sensor has depth of field advantages)... anyway an upgraded version coming along would be the case with any digital. There will be M10 too, 5D Mark III the Blackberry version.. </p>

<p>I am already sick of it. Leica comes out with a new camera with more pixels than an average shooter can ever use, and the rioting 'firstest-with-the-bestest' crowd are out in force, drooling and raving and trading the camera they bought yesterday when it was the hot item. </p>

<p>why 18mp? most of the leica shooter are used to aprox. 10mp with film? 12 mp with an iso capability of the d700 would've been great. lets see how good the camera will be, the LCD resolution is kinda embarassing for a camera that comes with a prize tag of a new small car...</p>

<p>i just hope leica's getting back on the feet and continue to produce good products as they've still got to catch up with technological advancements</p>

<p>Bernard:</p>

<p><em>Once you get it into P-shop, what difference does it make about the chromatic aberration of the lens...</em></p>

<p>Only the difference between 10 minutes and 10 hours with your butt in a chair and your wrist in an RSI brace. If you like clicking mice better than clicking shutters, knock yourself out. <em></em></p>

<p><em>Now anyone in ATL will be able to go out and shoot 'Half-dome at Yosemite' in their backyard (at least on the North side of town; from anywhere else w/realtime sat downlink, regardless of weather or illumination. Or morning at K2, whatever.)</em></p>

<p>The point of which would be, .... what? <em></em></p>

<p><em>Canon/Nikon (I don't know about about Leica - anyone with more into please reply; I heard about a Leica (maybe) that would shoot continuous frames around an event in order to capture the event itself....</em></p>

<p>Why wait for Leica; just go get one of <a href="http://www.red.com/epic_scarlet/">these</a> .</p>