100% crops

r_kelley

<p>Again, I`m not qualified to explain this issue; digital images are soft by default because the sensor need antialiasing filters. The stronger filter the softer image. This is one of the reasons of the price of a camera... two models with the same or very similar sensor could have different resolving capacities and prices, as the quality of the AA is different. Others with higher knowledge could explain this.</p>

<p>It could not make sense to have higher resolution (more pixels) if the final print don`t require it; it`s wasted resolution (and money).</p>

<p>Try setting the JPEG to Large/Fine (that will give you a 12mb file), WB at auto, and sharpening at +3.</p>

<p>Also look at the recommended picture and custom controls that are available on spreadsheet from the Nikonians (and Ken Rockwell) website. Its a chore, but you need to tailor the D300's settings to get the best out of it. You can create up to 4 custom settings groups and save them in your My Menu. I took the time to do this and the results were extraordinary.</p>

<p>If you just want to leave everything at the defaults, you will actually get poorer results than even with a D90 (which at least has picture modes to help you).</p>

<p>In some shots, I have used tripod and timer to take the shot to make the sharpest photo possible. In some cases, these still turn out blurry, but I believe it was due to the very light tripod I used. I think there was some camera shake either after adjusting the camera or from the mirror. If I wanted to ensure razor sharpness, I would pick a windless day, use my heavy bogen tripod, use the mirror lockup feature, optimal 5.6 aperture, any of my prime lenses 150mm or less.</p>