Cable Release Preferences?

cian_perez

<p>Hey Gang -<br>

I'll be joining the MF ranks soon. Got a second-hand Mamiya RZII kit inbound. I'm pretty excited, since I very much still enjoy the film experience and have always been drawn to the mystique of larger formats. I figure the handling and ergonomics on the RZ will be dramatically different vs the 35mm world I'm used to, but this is something I look forward to.<br>

My questions are concerning cable releases. I typically use one with my 35mm/DSLR gear, since I primarily shoot landscapes on a tripod.<br>

Are there any "darlings" among the available cable releases? <br>

Any ones to avoid?<br>

Is there a particular length that works well for this subject matter and how one interacts with the RZ on a tripod with a WLF or prism finder?<br>

I'm envisioning the 12" length may be a tad short and the 40" seems it will get caught on things, so is a 20" length pretty popular? Or am I being foolish in asking and simply should go find out on my own via trial and error?<br>

Any qualms with the following two offerings from our sponsor?<br>

http://www.adorama.com/CZCRP20.html<br>

http://www.adorama.com/CZCRSP20.html<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've only ever used 12" but have often wished I had a little more length. And I have had several incidences of the cheap plastic cables splitting at the top, rendering it useless. So I'd spend the extra $5 for the nicer version of the 20" cable, if I were you. JR</p>

<p>(a) You might consider getting the special Mamiya electromagnetic release if you're only using it on the RZ, but it's pretty expensive if you're buying new.</p>

<p>(b) If you are going to prefire the mirror by hand, you can use practically any cable release, because it will just be attached to the socket on the lens barrel which fires the leaf shutter. (You can buy a special double cable release for this purpose, but you don't need to.)</p>

<p>I'm a bit of cable release geek these days and snap up (sorry!) any I see in junk boxes. My two favourites for the Hasselblad are a fifteen foot bulb pneumatic and a very heavy 24 inch with a screw lock. The pneumatic is great for portraiture, as you can stand well away from the camera and concentrate on engaging the sitter's attention. The 24 inch is much better for landscape work, being very strongly made, long enough not to interfere with the camera when you're working through the finder, yet short enough not to dangle into the way of anything else, such as the tripod.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>(a) You might consider getting the special Mamiya electromagnetic release if you're only using it on the RZ, but it's pretty expensive if you're buying new.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have considered that originally, but I normally prefire the mirror. Also, there is one KL lens in the kit. The electromagnetic release for the RZ will not fire the KL lens, correct?</p>