help composing a photo

chadlatta

<p>I have this image here Lonely Tree....Again and the same image here Lonely Tree and I was wondering what I could possibly do differently with this image? Fall is coming and I would like to try something new, but cant really come up with anything.</p>

<p>Also, the processing on both those images really isn't that great. It is some of my earlier work which I am slowly improving on.</p>

<p>Thanks.<br>

Chad</p>

<p>Chad, I agree with Jack and Jeff you have two very nice images. If they were mine, I'd leave them as-is. My suggestion, because you seem to be dwelling on this one image, is to get out and take more photographs. A lot more photographs! Shoot everywhere and anywhere. Day, night, city, countryside, indoors, outdoors, wherever. There are general rules of composition, like the rule of thirds, but don't get locked-in to only following those. You'll know a great image when you've got one, then submit it for a critique here on Photo.net if you want.</p>

<p>Chad,<br>

Both shots are quite nice. I like the very simple colors and composition of the first scene (although I would have preferred the whole tree in the frame). </p>

<p>You seem to be asking for ideas as much as comments on these photos, so here are a few thoughts for things you could try--they wouldn't necessarily make your photo better, just new creative possibilities. Look for a day when there are clouds with shapes that echo the shape of the trees. Look for a foreground subject that has something to play off the shape or texture of the tree and get close to it. Try a lower camera position to try to avoid the merger of the tree and the dark clump behind and to the left of the tree. Try to find a time when the light is spotlighting the tree (storm light through the clouds), perhaps with side light. </p>

<p>Basically, just try moving around and photographing in different conditions. I have an area a mile or so from my house that I've been shooting in all seasons and sorts of weather and lighting conditions for almost two years. It's not the most scenic spot in the world but it lets me experiment and see how different conditions and camera positions work</p>

Thanks.

John - that us exactly what i was looking for. I drive by this tree a few times a week and i always felt I am

missing something. I wonder what others would do and how I could get an even better shot. I am not unhappy with my

current photos, i just wonder if there is something I am

missing.

I will try playing with light and angles a little more. There is a sign on the fence warning me i will be shot for tresspassing!

So maybe I will try talking with the owners to see If I can go onto their property.

As far as the crop, I never really noticed the tree no being completely in the frame. Something I should start paying more

attention to I guess!

Thanks everyone.

Chad