Is the Canon 50 D worth it

gregory_mclemor

<p>Hello<br>

I have a old Canon 300d and I am thinking about buying the Canon 50d. I have sold my leses to pay for school so I am basically starting over. From what I have been reading, it seems like people are saying the Canon 40d is a better buy. I don't want to pay $ 1000 for a older camera. Is the noise really that bad on the Canon 50d? I keep reading about the noise factor. I like to shoot landscape and sports and print big. I hope to build a collection of L lenses.<br>

I think that the 7d might be a little out of my budget.<br>

God Bless</p>

<p>I found 50D IQ better than the 40D, and the better LCD a great breakthrough. However I see prints as the final proof of IQ, not 100-400% pixel peeping. Somebody whom never prints and prefers peeping might prefer a lower MP count.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I upgraded from a 30D to a 50D. I shoot mostly studio still life and product shots and find the 50D to be a substantially better camera.<br>

I have made 12 X 18 prints from the files and am totally satisfied, and also confident that I could go to 16 X 24 with no problem.<br>

I seldom use ISO speeds higher than 800, but have been satisfied with the results when I have done so. If I were shooting live theater or similar low-light situations for a living, I might think differently.<br>

I love being able to see the LCD and more importantly the histogram in broad daylight because I use manual exposure most of the time.<br>

I like shooting landscape with the 50D and 17-40 f/4 L, and am very pleased with the IQ even at large print sizes.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>

<p>My 50D performs very nicely (that means significantly better) compared to my 400D. Though I must confess that I needed a few weeks to get those results.</p>

<p>The colors (and to my surprise the bokeh) were better from the first shot. Postprocessing and learning to choose ISO based on the situation took longer.</p>

<p>I've never used the 40D so I can't say much about that comparison.</p>

<p>I made the jump from the 300D to the 50D and can highly recommend it. <a href="http://www.zx81.org.uk/photography/canon-eos-50d.html">I wrote a blog about my experience</a>. I wouldn't worry about the noise. You might be able to argue about the quality compared with other contemporary cameras but there's no question that it's superior to the 300D.</p>

<p>The gap between the 40D and 50D is maybe harder to justify. I had two reasons to stretch. Firstly, I plan on owning the 50D for roughly as long as the 300D. The extra spread over five years didn't seem so bad. And, more practically, the 3" screen is really nice!</p>

<p>I would suggest the Canon Rebel XTi. Same size sensor plus 1080P video and the IQ is comparable. I just don't feel the extra features on the 50D are worth the extra price. I would suggest getting the XTi and accumulating "L" glass. The body may change but quality glass you just keep using long after you have "upgraded " the body. <br>

All of the current model Canon bodies can benefit from the best glass, so that is where I would, and have prioritized my camera equipment purchases. </p>

<p>My wife went 350d (rebel xt) -> 50d and hasn't looked back. The only time she takes back her hand-me-down is when we are out doing star trails or long exposures - because she had the wireless remote shutter release.</p>

<p>Liveview (IMHO I don't like it, she swears by it for still life and nature)<br>

HUGE bump in resolution - 8mp -> 15mp<br>

HUGE increase in usable ISO (IMO 400 is barely usable in dark scenes on the 350d - 1600 is about the upper limit in the 50d)<br>

Much faster camera reactions, picture styles, a LOT more AF points, the list goes on and on. In short - you won't be sorry about the upgrade. Maybe you would if you went from a higher end EOS to the 50d, but 300d -> 50d is a very nice jump.</p>

<p>The noise issue is indeed true, compared to the 40d, but compared to your 300d - its not noticeable, its totally better.</p>

<p> </p>