Creating card template-cs4

<p>I am using Photoshop CS4. I have a family portrait session in November who wants christmas cards. This is new for me. I use Millers Lab and they offer this, but wanted to try my hand at creating a card design vs buying one of theirs. Unfortunately, I am a hands on learner and often feel uneasy as to whether I am doing something right without a guide. Has anyone here designed a card. Say a 5X5 top folded card with an insert in the center for the image. I want to ensure the quality of the image after sizing it for the insert size. How do I do this in photoshop.</p>

<p>My image size is 2640x3300 pixels and document size is 8x10 with a resolution of 330.<br>

I created a new document, sized at 5x5 with a resolution of 250 and made my design on it. I figure if the image insert is 3.5x3.5 it will look great.</p>

<p>I know this may seem like an amatuer question. I am just starting out with my business. But everyone has to learn somehow and start somewhere. I do have a photoshop book, but there are so many explanations in there. I just need a direct answer that doesn't leave me wondering which way to go.</p>

<p>If you have the CS4 suite... I'd suggest using Illustrator (or if you like a challenge, InDesign). It's meant for doing exactly the kind of thing you want to do, and the text/layout tools are far more advanced than Photoshop. Once the template is done, you can just import your edited PS image, and you're off the races!</p>