Novice: how do I handle a request for a copy of my photo?

joe chan

<p>I'm a hobbyist photographer and have uploaded a few of my photos on this website and others. I have recently received a request for "a digital copy of the photograph that I would be able to have put onto canvas". After getting over my initial joy from the flattery, I am now unsure how to respond to the request.<br /> <br /> The requester says the photo is for display in his own home and I've no reason to doubt this but I'm concerned about supplying a digital file that could, in theory, be printed any number of times and even sold on without my knowing.<br /> <br /> How should I supply the digital file of the photo? Ideally, I would like to supply the file to an online website and let the requester order his print there but then I would have to find a site local to his country and one that would supply a print in the finish he wants, etc. I have checked out stock agencies and microstock sites but I don't think these are suitable for this purpose.<br /> <br /> I don't expect to make any other sales (though that would be nice!). Should I just trust the requester and ask him for a one-off payment and send him the file? (No, I don't think so!).<br /> <br /> Should I ignore the request and save myself the bother? (No, I don't like this idea as no one ends up happy!)<br /> <br /> Please offer me some advice.<br /></p>

<p>Do you already know where this person lives? Explore the costs of shipping the print, made by/for you under your control. It makes much more sense. If they want the image and were willing to bear the costs of producing the print themselves, then they'll surely understand your need to have a little more control over the process. I would tread carefully, here.</p>