Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #36

jose_angel

<p>Stunning shots everyone!!!!</p>

<p>I did my first "shoot" last weekend, album cover for my buddies band.<br>

Not sure which pic he's going to use....he won't tell me :) we took around 300, but this is one of my favorites. The albums called Tazer Crazy.</p>

<p> </p><div>00UO9f-169561584.jpg.e631151f169222d0e15628aac1d8ea66.jpg</div>

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Exposure and editing done today. Still trying to hone my small product lighting technique, using reflectors, flags, etc., instead of simple diffuser tents. Not quite there yet. Pain in the neck - the diffuser tent is much easier. And the D2H has an annoying tendency toward rendering blacks with too much magenta, at least under tungsten lights. (Nikon L37c filter on 105/2.5 AI Nikkor)</p><div>00UOAf-169569584.jpg.1f2f22dd9e4b00d0bbb5ff00a3885f0d.jpg</div>

<p>Good Morning,<br>

Twelf big yellow logo's of National Geographic are placed as objects of art on the Dutch isle of Terschelling. Some of the frames are filled up with big photographs of the nature photographer Ruben Smit, some are empty, so you can shoot your own horizon in it. The logo's are placed during the yearly art festival called Oerol, which gets more and more international fame.</p><div>00UOCN-169581584.jpg.6ce74f8ecd9dcbb87eecabeead308c91.jpg</div>

<p>@Lex,<br>

"Learn to use a fan?" I think the only requirement is not fanning yourself and flicking cigarette ashes into your eyes :)<br /><br />In your description of the lighting you mention "flags" what are those? You also mention that your lighting setup is much more complex than a simple product tent.<br>

a. could you draw a simple diagram showing where placed the lighting equipment (I no almost zero about lighting equipment and management)<br>

b. compare and contrast your shot with the same thing taken in a product tent.<br>

Who knew that a lens could be so aesthetically pleasing when properly lighted.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><!--StartFragment-->

<p >Many impressive contributions this week. A few that really caught my eye:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Ton - great use of line; perfect B&W</p>

<p >Matt – the definition of “tack sharp”</p>

<p >Gary – beautiful warm color</p>

<p >Paul – humorous shot</p>

<p >Wade – compelling portrait</p>

<p >Laura – very poignant</p>

<p >Jose – who cares about the aperture? :) pretty lady -great street shot!</p>

<p >Tony – very nice</p>

<p >Janne – powerful use of color and silhouette</p>

<p >Jim – attention getting</p>

<p >Jay – great action shot, perfect timing</p>

<p >Pietro – I spent a day last week shoot the Brooklyn Bridge and didn’t get anything as nice as your shot</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Thanks everyone else for posting your work. See you next week.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<!--EndFragment--></p>

<p>I love this thread! Viewing the images again this morning is a fabulous slice of lives around the world and once again I can find interesting aspects that are excellent in all of the posts. Thank goodness for Lil. I compose these complex comments in my head when I view each image, but I don't have the patience to write them all down.<br>

This week I am struck by the capture of beauty and innocence in John Kent Hill's image of Kylee...just great! That in no way diminishes my respect and admiration for all of the others.<br>

Thank you, Richard Karash, for the kind comment on my Horseshoe Lake image.<br>

We are off on an excursion to Ohio for Labor Day...the D300 is packed and ready. I hope I can find something fun for next Wednesday.<br>

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!<br>

Dick</p>

<p>Here's to another inspiring Wednesday!! The ones that really caught my eye..........<br>

@Bryan looks like you are starting to get tunnel vision. :)<br>

@Monika very cool photo and PS work.<br>

@Chris amazing bug, the detail is superb<br>

@Susan very nice hummingbird. Not the usual appraoch to a flower shot.<br>

@ Gary love the subtle distortion, makes it look like a watercolor<br>

@Jeannean nice work on the "double bug"<br>

@Aaron YUP you nailed the look!<br>

@Eddy nice capture. The back lighting make this look like a light show.<br>

@Jose the human contrast sure grabbed my attention.<br>

@Janne this is one of the best sillouettes that I have seen in a long time.<br>

@James the range of shades and the over-all sharpness is amazing.<br>

@Sergio beautiful capture. Classic!<br>

@Lester very nice. I like how it brings "humaness" into contact w/ nature.<br>

@Steve I love Seattle and you have captured a very iconic skyline photo nicely.<br>

Until next week................</p>

<p>Hi Everybody!<br />This is my second post. Thanks everybody for the feedback from the last week.<br />Let me know what you think about this one<br />Thanks, and see you next week<br />D300 70-200mm <a href="mailto:f/2.8@1/400sec">f/2.8, 1/400sec</a> ISO-320</p>

<p>Hi Everybody!<br />This is my second post. Thanks everybody for the feedback from the last week.<br />Let me know what you think about this one<br />Thanks, and see you next week<br />D300 70-200mm <a rel="nofollow" href="mailto:f/2.8@1/400sec">f/2.8, 1/400sec</a> ISO-320</p><div>00UOLt-169639684.jpg.8ffbe2fa30bfa40e2ecabd43668e5a64.jpg</div>

<p>ok it's now thursday so i'm going to go ahead and comment on the photos which inspired me this week<br>

Jose--great shot, especially for straight-out-the-camera. super-clean ISO 1600!</p>

<p>Paul B--i'm a sucker for wide-angle</p>

<p>Anish--festive!</p>

<p>Monika--i usually dont go for overly-manipulated shots but yours is really cool. i dig the contrast.</p>

<p>Shun--great timing.</p>

<p>Ton--even your still-lifes have character.</p>

<p>Chris C.--wow, nice detail on the body. you are definitely the dragonfly king.</p>

<p>Nick--very sharp for the 18-70. cuuute as well. postcard-worthy, IMO.</p>

<p>Hamish--i can almost feel the percipitation in the air.</p>

<p>Matt--another 30/1.4 winner</p>

<p>Gary--looks like you added watercolor effects in PS,lol.</p>

<p>Darko--love the colors and the simplicity</p>

<p>Barry--understanded, classy, elegant.</p>

<p>Joe--nice work with the tokina. that one's great at f/8.</p>

<p>Elliot--like the iridescence.</p>

<p>Harvey--i say tom-AH-to.</p>

<p>Kent S--nice to see a Coolpix pic. it's still hot here in the Bay Area (indian summer) so we could use some sprinkler action.</p>

<p>Margaret--trippy pic. nice to have you aboard.</p>

<p>Raden--a still from "South Pacific"?</p>

<p>Aaron--you succeeded indeed.</p>

<p>Adam--concert pics are tough. that's a nice shot, although you might have been able to get away with a lower ISO and a wider aperture. 1/400 might be overkill for an old guy like Frampton too, since he's probably not going to be jumping around.</p>

<p>Jesse--cool shot. i love Tron!</p>

<p>Aguinaldo--only toucan i've ever seen in this country is Toucan Sam, who doesnt really count. like the juxtaposition of that composition.</p>

<p>Paul--way to illustrate the cliched expression, which makes it less cliched, of course.</p>

<p>Jim--that dog looks mean. but i like the shot.</p>

<p>Mike O'Day--you and Aaron had the same idea.</p>

<p>Eddy F--one of my favorites this week. love the backlighting.</p>

<p>Ben S.--wow a 2000mm f/11? fo' realz? the yellow filter gives that pic character.</p>

<p>Doug--you are keeping tahoe blue, alright.</p>

<p>Steve--somehow that scene is very comforting.</p>

<p>Mykhail--excellent for the 18-200. like the rippled reflections.</p>

<p>Janne--another of this week's standouts. silhouette pics are harder than they should be, but you nailed that one. i like the hint of orange.</p>

<p>Jeanne-nice composition.</p>

<p>Jim--that pic is a bit scary with that kid just sitting there and the old man looking panicy.</p>

<p>Ilkka--great shot, but why not a wider aperture with the 85/1.4?</p>

<p>Finlay--good "eye"!</p>

<p>Charles B--nice colors.</p>

<p>Jay P. -- absolutely fantastic shot, very crisp.</p>

<p>thanks to all and also to those who commented on my pic.</p>

<p>until next time!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks as always for the kick-off, <strong>Jose</strong>. I like the bird - he's a good assistant there in your depth of field laboratory. Just a few others that jumped out at me to mention this week:<br /><br /><strong>Ton</strong>: I like the mix of scales and textures - the water ripples, sculpted sand, the piling shadows, and the overall governing perspective. The big stones are welcome intruders.<br /><br /><strong>Chris C</strong>: the dragonflies just keep getting more compelling.<br /><br /><strong>Hamish</strong>: the being-there-ness of the image really works for me. Nice.<br /><br /><strong>Harvey S</strong>: welcome to the thread - and I really like that monochromatic bit of green-ness you've got going on there.<br /><br /><strong>Richard A</strong>: classic pastoralism - a moose would sure add another dimension, that's for sure.<br /><br /><strong>Pedro</strong>: very good instincts on capturing that bit of serenity - the crop is perfect.<br /><br /><strong>Jim I</strong>: that's a very effective moment wit the dog <br /><br /><strong>Amy Z</strong>: a perfect, evocative diner image - very atmospheric<br /><br /><strong>Aaron and Mike</strong>: I feel like Gulliver. Those are very effective in the tinyfication genre.<br /><br /><strong>James K</strong>: your presentation of interior spaces never fail to place right there - terrific.<br /><br /><strong>Ertugrul</strong>: what a fun, artistic bit of anthropology. Has that NatGeo feel to it, honestly.</p>

<p >Jose: Great colours in your bird cage shot.</p>

<p >Anish: Nice colourful shot. (I wish we had a similar carnival in Sydney. Our version is alright for some, but a bit too over the top for my tastes.)</p>

<p >Monika: A very striking image. I love the eyes.</p>

<p >Justin: I like your portrait of the two young children. Nice composition with the younger(?) one in the background looking on but somehow held back from full participation.</p>

<p >Shen: Great action shot capturing the concentration and power of the player.</p>

<p >Ton: I love the tones and shadow patterns of your B&W image. Where was it taken?</p>

<p >Chris: Fantastic image of the colourful dragonfly.</p>

<p >Nick: I love your dolphin pic.</p>

<p >Hamish: Wonderful DOF in your interesting landscape.</p>

<p>Mike, I shot this in <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domburg">Domburg</a> , a little but highly popular village at the Dutch coast. Despite the fact that it's very small and gets inundated with tourists every summer it's a nice retreat and my wife and I spend actually quite some time there. Despite the wave breakers in my photo they have a hell of a job to keep the dunes intact. In the winter it's kind of desolate in the neighbourhood but I like that as well. Nothing like a nice sea breeze (or even a gale) to put things into perspective.</p>

<p>Hey everyone,<br>

So here's my comments for the week. I didn't see one bad picture in the lot!</p>

<p><br /> @Jose Angel - You never fail to impress! I am blown away with what that camera can do at ISO1600. Curious... why not ISO800 and 1/500s? Not fast enough to freeze this guy?<br /> @Joseph Leotta - Apart from the guys being purple, I like the composition here. Maybe you could do some PP and make it look like an olde-tyme photo? :) I'm a Phils and Cards fan myself, and don't understand why those Yanks insist on not having names on their jerseys. ;)<br /> @Paul B - Very cool! I like the lines here. Is that CA going on out in the water around the rocks in the upper left corner? Or maybe a product of sharpening? I'm trying to learn more about PP, this is why I ask. :) This makes me want a wide-angle lens though. Also, remember to check how your post looks on the second screen where it gives you the chance to update. ;)<br /> @Bryan Meadows - Very cool... I'm impressed with the darker details standing out yet the highlights are preserved. This must have been tricky. Where did you focus here, do you remember? And is the biker staged or was (s)he just walking through?<br /> @Anish Mankuthel - Such vibrant colors! It looks like the parade was a great time! Do you have more pictures?<br /> @Monika Epsefass - Are we to take it that these are your eyes? Your expression seems so intense! Maybe if you're still playing, you could put the eastern hemisphere in one eye and the western in the other instead of having them match, just a thought, feel free to tell me to bugger off. :)<br /> @Justin Weiss - Is it the reflection in her eyes? (Edit: saw your post, ah ha I thought so!)<br /> @Shun Cheung - Very cool. Are you there working, or as a spectator? And if a spectator, do you ever have problems getting hassled about bringing in pro-level gear?<br /> @Steven van Heerden - Mmm... why don't they call them Crepes?<br /> @Ton Mestrom - Oh my... I love it! How about the details? Is there a story behind this shot?<br /> @Chris Court - Another fine shot, sir. Eye-popping detail. Pun intended. ;-)<br /> @Leo Papandreou - I really love the tones that film brings out in the petals here.<br /> @MS Keil - Those S5s can do some cool things... I love the foreboding feeling I get here. The compression of the foreground rocks to the ones in the background is nice, too.<br /> @Nick Doronin - Very nice clarity and colors here... what was the shutter speed/aperture/ISO here? Lovely capture. Where were you?<br /> @Mike C - I think my favorite part is the way the hills fade into the haze in the background, and the little point of light on the... lighthouse on the point. Hah! Great composition here, and no need to apologize for ISO1600, I think it's justified in this case.<br /> @Hamish Gray - I think the theme is landscapes involving water of some sort... and another great wide-angle shot. Nice tent, btw. I'm not sure if I like the grass in the foreground or not though. Part of me does and part wants to pull it out.<br /> @Jens Frederiksen - I always love the expressions musicians make while practicing their art. I wonder if we make funny faces too?<br /> @Ian Rance - Well done, and I think that the short DoF adds to the mysterious nature. I like it!<br /> @Bernard Mills - I'd like to see a little more exposure here, and the DoF is a little short (maybe get both eyes in focus). Otherwise, she's beautiful. :)<br /> @Rene' Villela - Continuing this week's theme of lanscape with water... nice dock! I'm Swiss, maybe I'll go visit that someday. I like it better with the boardwalk. One of the simple landscape rules is to have an object of interest in the foreground, so you did well. :)<br /> @Alejandro Held - Really getting a lot of use out of that lens. :) I love the bokeh this produces, especially with the subject you've chosen here.<br /> @Leo Laksi - Very nice portrait. Pictures like these make me wonder if that boy will remember this moment, and wonder later in his life if the picture still exists.<br /> @Matt Laur - Cute. :) Nice equipment that guy has there! The B&W treatment does well here.<br /> @Sjoerd Leeuwenberg - More carp! (water...) (Thanks to Rene, I guess not really a common carp, but neither are Goldfish)<br /> @Susan Wolfe - Oh my! Wow! I'm curious, if you were using flash, why not bump up the shutter speed? Although maybe you did it for the slight blur of his wingtips, which I rather like...<br /> @Gary McGhee - Impressive clarity from a water shot! The slight ripples make it look like heat distortion.<br /> @Darko Vrsic - Looks like a lot of fun :) did you do any painting yourself? I miss art class. :(<br /> @Elliot Bernstein - what a graceful animal. Nice job of getting detail even though he's submerged. And contributing to the water bit. :)<br /> @Harvey S - Welcome! I love the little details along the stem. Hope the blight hasn't gotten you this year; it's hit the Northeast pretty hard!<br /> @Jeannean Ryman - Wow, what an awesome Macro of a drama unfolding. The things that happen all around us that we don't see...<br /> @Richard Armstrong - Nice summery scene, and part of the developing landscape w/ Water theme. :)<br /> @Margaret Hamwood - My favorite so far!! I can just hear the sound of the water dripping here... amazing!<br /> @Aaron Bonnici - Clever... do you have a PC-E lens or is this in Photoshop? It does look neat. Vibrant colors, too. I love it!<br /> @Ray Gosalia - Ah, another majestic lion; a continuation of last week. What magnificant creatures.<br /> @Pedro Cardoso - Marvelous! I love the halo effect around him in the beanbag.<br /> @Adam Zyto - Was it you that went with your son? How was the show? (I seem to recall two tickets stuck in the strings on the headstock of a Les Paul a week or two ago...)<br /> @Jesse Gonzalez - Oooooh Tron!<br /> @Aguinaldo de Paula - I think it's only fair you get to take their picture, then. :) What are they?<br /> @Paul V. Gorky - Haha great! And the duck in the edge of the frame makes one think that there could be dozens more...<br /> @jim interlicchio - Great portrait... an old friend? :)<br /> @Amy Zlatic - Bravo! Looks like a great place to eat!<br /> @Bogdan Nicolescu - Sorta gross, but it does remind me of the old fishing docks where I'm from.<br /> @Tom Pernal - Om nom nom, nice find. :) I especially like the little guy's colors contrasted with the flowers and background.<br /> @Mike O'Day - Fake miniatures for you too, huh? :) Nevertheless, it's neat. Do you find you need to expose pretty high to get the miniature look? Looks like you've got loads of light here.<br /> @Eddy Furlong - Oh Eddy, this is amazing! And the bee just makes it!<br /> @Jonas Fjellstedt - Lovely color on the moss there... I just love a good walk in the woods. Helps clear the spirit.<br /> @Lawrence Ho - Two expensive hobbies at the same time! Nicely done, sir! haha and the theme continues...<br /> @Ofey Kalakar - Ah, ubiquitous but never cease to amuse. Nice.<br /> @Paul Cochrum - Very well executed! Great shot! It just screams summer.<br /> @Sanford Gerald - keep the car shots coming :) but be sure to preview your posting so as to avoid the double posts. Gorgeous car! The grass there looks like a putting green.<br /> @Mircea C - Wow, I'm amazed. I love that people are willing to let you take their picture. As I said before, I wonder if they'll remember this, and what they might think of.<br /> @John DeMarco - Another pretty car :) I love Porsches.<br /> @Laura Pond - Wow... a powerful shot and a sad reminder of what we've gotten ourselves into. This shot is worthy of display somewhere prominent, just as the subject itself is being displayed.<br /> @Paula Wang - Fantastic! Amazing colors...<br /> @Benjamin Schaefer - Congrats on the new treasure :) I rather like the yellow, actually.<br /> @Doug Santo - Very nice treatment of Tahoe. I may have omitted the foreground tree, but it also works here. Just a personal preference I suppose. I like the lines the boat wakes make here as well. Such a clear lake...<br /> @Jose Antonio Ramirez - You made me laugh! haha Nice subject too ;) apparently you weren't the only one that found her interesting.<br /> @Steve Vanderford - Wow, I love the off-camera flash! And also I really love your treatment here, almost an abstract but it still looks like a photo in some of the details. I'd love to hear more about how you did this, if you don't mind sharing your secrets. :)<br /> @Mikhail Tsypkin - I'm SO jealous of everybody getting to go to these wonderful places! Another fantastic shot! Way to keep the theme!<br /> @Louis Meluso - Congratulations on a fantastic portrait! This is one that<br /> @Thomas Burden - Love the composition here, the soldiers all in a row.<br /> @Janne Kaakinen - Just great!!!<br /> @James Kazan - Great environmental shot... this looks like it belongs in a tour guide book!<br /> @Sergio Galicia - I've seen similar shots, and you've done it as well as any of them. Though I do see your sensor dust. ;)<br /> @Jeanne Hauschild - Gorgeous! I love the simple composition here, very effective.<br /> @Rick Dohme - Hahaha Free Ice Cream!<br /> @James Blachly - Cool :) Railroad stuff is one of my favorite things to photograph.<br /> @Steve Phillips - How do you like that LensBaby? Looks like she's having a good time. :) Almost time for school!<br /> @Waldemar Giers - I'm thinking that sounds better than work and moving houses! Hope you enjoy your summer!<br /> @Thadd - It appears nice, but it's hard for me to see. I'd love to see a bigger version.<br /> @Jim Baughman - Oh how exciting! Maybe next time try a larger aperture to get a faster shutter speed, slow down that motion blur a bit. Or if that's what you intended, then well done!<br /> @Jared Angle - Nice, but I prefer the Vette myself. ;)<br /> @Richard Karash - Lovely! The composition is about perfect here to my eye. Nice, sloping fairway, very picturesque tree, impressive cloud formation in the background and a tiny little detail of the pin way back there. Very well done, sir.<br /> @Finlay Jolliffe - Gorgeous colors here... and nice detail.<br /> @Pietro Paolo Angelo Pravettoni - Oooh I like the perspective and crazy lines here. Nice B&W treatment as well.<br /> @Charles Becker - Well done! Great lines, nice composition, and the picture really lets the viewer know what is going on here.<br /> @Pete S. - Congratulations. ;)<br /> @Lester Rosebrock - Oh wow! I don't even know what to say... that's amazing!<br /> @Wenshu Chen - Simple, elegant, and lovely. Nice contrast of the vine here. One of my favorites!<br /> @paul sooHoo - Is he really a policeman? He must be off-duty.<br /> @Jay Poel - Very cool shot of a very cool trick. You Canucks know a thing or two about parachute teams too it would seem. ;)<br /> @Lance Noell - Your shot made me laugh out loud, prompting visitors to my cubical. Thanks! haha<br /> @Lex Jenkins - Neat Macro. How do you like that 55mm Macro? As compared to the 105 pictured?<br /> @Cees Maas - Very clever! It reminds me of the "Kodak Photo Spot" or whatever they called them. I like the off-axis shot of the "magazine cover" here... much more interesting than it would have been straight-on!<br /> @Yuriy Granov - I love your shot's tone here (I like low-key B&W photographs). I can't decide if, were it me, I would place the bench to the left or right side of the frame, but I do like your photo quite a bit. Also, try to remember to confirm your posting "looks right" on the second page before hitting the "submit" button... if it needs fixing, make the corrections and hit the "update" button first and then "submit" when it looks right. It can be kinda tricky.<br /></p>