d700 or 17-35mm?

filip1

<p>Hi everyone, my main goal is to get both of them in my kit as soon as possible, but I'm not shore what to go for first.<br>

I have a d70s with 18-70mm but i really love wide angle, I also have a 19-35mm tamron. <br>

I used 17-35mm with the d70s and loved it, but I would also like a full frame and higher iso, which I can use the 19-35mm with.<br>

I my main goal is photojournalisam, portraits and sport. <br>

What would be a better choise?<br>

Regards <br>

Filip</p>

<p>None of the lenses you've mentioned will be well suited to portraits or (most) sports on an FX format body like the D700. The 17-35, on the D700, will act roughly like a 12-24 on your current D70s.<br /><br />One thing's for sure: the D700 will continue to get less expensive, as the lenses that work well on it do <em>not</em> do so. And getting the D700 before you have lenses to exploit it will be frustrating indeed. Glass first, I would think.</p>

<p>doesnt sound like you really have the lenses to go FF right now. my strategy would be to stock up on FF-compatible glass first,then switch bodies. are you sure about the 17-35? that will work great on FF down the line but will overlap your current tamron on DX. with a 24-70, OTOH, you'd be in a better position for when you switch.</p>

<p>I would get D700 first. You will have more fun with this camera, and use it with DX lens in DX mode. Then you will need a FX lens perhaps soon, and the 50mm/1.8 would be quoted as economical and good lens.</p>

<p>It will take time for you to learn and explore the D700, and that will give you chance to save for additional lens.</p>

<p>Go for the fun with new camera. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>have more fun with this camera, and use it with DX lens in DX mode.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think so. Use a 12 MP new camera in 5MP mode will not be fun ;let you expeience the camera, Yea, it will be fun using the crop marks in the viewfinder all the time. You'll really enjoy your new camera that way.<br>

Any plan tthat involves using primarly Dx lens on a FX body is flawed.</p>

<p>Definately glass first, i allso decided otherwise in the past by buying first the new body and then the good glass......won't happen again though.<br /> I don't think using the 18-70 on the D700 will give you even satisfying results as the 24-70 on you r D70.</p>

<p>You could buy a used 17-55/2.8 and use it untill you have the funds for both the D700 and the lens and then sell the 17-55 for about the same as you bought it.</p>

<p>I wonder why your choices have to be either the D700 or the 17-35? It is fairly meaningless to get a D700 unless you have some good lenses to go along with it.</p>

<p>Why can't you get a D90 or D300 plus some good lenses? The D700 has excellent high ISO results, but the D90 and D300 are not bad at all either. Do you really need to pay so much more for that extra 1 stop?</p>

<p>Hi everyone thanks for your opinions, thing is I have other lenses for portrait and telephoto side, <br>

The Tamron 19-35mm is a fulll frame lens, and using is with high ISO might be alright.<br>

17-35 is my main lens range I use along with my 50mm and I mainly want full frame because of wide angle and ISO <br>

With my photojournalism work extra stop is gold.<br>

Thanks everyone </p>

<p>"None of the lenses you've mentioned will be well suited to portraits or (most) sports on an FX format body like the D700"</p>

<p>I see this comment way too much out there. I am a newspaper staff photog and I often shoot portraits at 35mm in order to get some background context to tell the story. Portraits are not just should length headshots. It is anything that has a person in it.</p>

<p>If he's interested in photojournalism, then a 17-35 will work great on the D700. It's one of my mainstay lenses on my D700.</p>

<p>As for sports, wide-angle shots work depending on where you are and what you're trying to show.</p>

<p>I was recently saddled with a similar question. I have a D70 and I wanted to upgrade to a D300 or D700. Instead I chose to upgrade to a D90 and get two killer lenses to go with it, the 17-55 2.8 and 80-200 2.8. If I would have bought the D300 or D700 I would have had to get inferior glass, and for my purpose (weddings and Portraits) I decided that the glass was more important. Maybe I'll pick up a used D700 in about a year for half of what it's going for now. Good luck with your decision!</p>

<p>For portrait: Get a D700 and a cheap beaten up portrait lens like a 105mm AIS or a 50mm f1.8 or f2.0.<br /> These lenses cost nothing compared to the D700 but deliver the iQ for a portrait. For portrait you need to see what you shoot. The D70 is nice but got a small and poor viewfinder.<br /> It would be a good start and probably the first time I vote against that lens ^^ :-)</p>

<p>For everything else go DX as mentioned above.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>hi, d700 + 17-35<br>

you and me both! I've got the lens on a d200 and i'm frustrated by not getting the FX advantage. I've been waiting since the d700 came out for it to drop in price, i've even considered trying it on a canon 5d. do you really need FX, if i didn't have this lens I'd try nikon 10-24 or tokina 11-16 on a d90/d300? the combo is pretty cost effective, cheers</p>