Long shutter speeds on Hasselblad lenses

david_hedley

<p>I have a 501C/M with 50mm, 80mm and 120mm lenses.<br>

On the 50 and 80mm (both silver lenses), there are shutter speeds longer than 1s marked on the barrel of each lense (after the B mark), but I can't turn the shutter to these speeds. Is this possible, or are they simply marked for reference? It would be great to be able to access these speeds if possible.<br>

On the 120mm Makr-Planar, there is an F marking after the B. This seems to be almost the same as B, except that the aperture blades fully open just before the rear blinds close. (With B the aperture remains fully stopped down until the rear blinds have closed). Can someone explain what effect os created by choosing F rather than B?</p>

<p>The "F" setting keeps the lens shutter open when the shutter is tripped so that the focal plane shutter can be used in a 200 series camera. The focal plane shutter has a "C" setting which does the same thing when you wish to use the lens shutter.</p>

<p>The markings beyond the "B" shutter speed are EV numbers, which correspond to a set of aperture and shutter speed settings with the same Exposure Value. Prisms with exposure meters read in EV numbers, which must be transferred to the lens. Some hand held meters (e.g., Sekonic) can be read in EV numbers too. Notice that the EV numbers are on the shutter speed ring and the pointer is on the aperture ring. If you move the rings together, the EV number (and the equivalent exposure) stays the same.</p>

<p>As Russ says, they are for reference, and will correspond to light meter readings. If you don't already have one, I suggest you obtain a cable release for these longer times.<br>

If you don't have a cable release, you can cover the lens with a piece of black card, open the lens, then remove the card for required time. I've done this for years without problem, and was the method before shutters were invented.</p>

<p>The marks beyond the "B" setting are not EVs, but represent shutterspeeds in (full) seconds ("B" itself than stands for 2 seconds).</p>

<p>You can't set those speeds.<br />But you can read what speed is opposite what aperture, so if you would want to use any of those apertures, you could make a mental note, shift the aperture ring so that the desired aperture is set, set the shutterspeed ring to "B", and expose for the time you made that mental note of.</p>

<p>The EV-numbers are on the other side of the scale, beyond "500".</p>