Ethic Backgrounds in Portfolio

kye_brown1

<p>Ok question for all of you. With my wedding photography, most/all of my clients have been of the same ethic background as myself. No reason except that is how it has been. Well tommorrow I am sitting down with a new potential client and her mom and I think we are of different races. In my port my work is great and speaks for my work and my personality and business savvy speaks for the rest. So my question is how do I approach the situation with having no races but one in my port? I am trying to open up my horizons and look forward to the day I have clients of all races and walks of life. Does this make sense or am I being paranoid that I may lose the business because of this?</p>

<p ><strong><em>"Does this make sense or am I being paranoid that I may lose the business because of this?"</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >It makes sense that you are considering the matter.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >It is a waste of time considering the matter, because you cannot do any action to change you portfolio’s contents, other than to hire models of differing races. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >If that solution does not sit with your business model: then quit wasting time on matters which you do not have the power to change . . . and get on with doing things to build your business, which you can control.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Thanks William. I am not as worried as the post sounded but I have been thinking of TFPing some models and doing some "mock" wedding scenes just to expand my port plus I love shooting. I figure if the potential client has a problem with the lack of diversity in my port than that is her decision to not hire me. Thanks for responding. Have a great nite! : ) I will let you know hot the consultation goes tommorrow.</p>

<p>Kye,</p>

<p>People have lots of reasons for hiring and not hiring photographers. In my mind, that's fine - c'est la vie. You can't do much about it and in my opinion it's not really a problem. </p>

<p>Now, if you want to diversify your portfolio, well, you certainly can do that. But honestly, if somebody is interested in you enough to LOOK at your portfolio, I think it's up to you then to sell yourself personally. </p>

<p>In short, I agree with William W (always a safe position to take).</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p ><em><strong>Thanks . . .</strong></em> <em><strong>Have a great nite! : ) </strong></em></p>

<p >You are welcome . . . </p>

<p > </p>

<p >err . . . well . . . the world is a big oyster and that like worrying about the potential clients is another <em>assumption</em> you have just made. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >It's just gone midday here. :)</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong><em>"I will let you know [how] the consultation goes tomorrow."</em></strong></p>

<p >Please do.</p>

<p ></p>

<p >My advice is to just chillax. </p>

<p ></p>

<p >If your work is as good and you are as forthright as you state: you will do fine.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><strong><em>"if somebody is interested in you enough to LOOK at your portfolio, I think it's up to you then to sell yourself personally."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >William Porter makes a very good point here. The fact is, when people are looking at one's portfolio, in person, there are many <strong><em>stronger</em></strong> means of intercommunication going on simultaneously - many of which you have control over. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Showing a portfolio in person is a much more powerful tool than the client perusing the gallery “on line” - you should use that leverage at the meeting.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Freud would have a comment about your "ethic" background question I'm sure.</p>

<p>Early in my career I had an African-American bride ask me if shooting people of color required different lighting, I responded to the question and reassured her that I had the experience/knowledge...... and she gave me the contract. If you don't have experience working with and shooting her ethnic group, then I think that it would/could cost you the job and I would empathize with the bride.</p>

<p>OTOH, the appeal of many young, inexperienced shooters is that they are less expensive and eager to do a good job for their clients. If you convey that attitude along with being extra "affordable", you might get the job.</p>

<p>If you are a white person with only white weddings, then you are okay. An Indian, Asian, African person/couple will be used to dealing with services where they may be the odd-one out.</p>

<p>But if you are from a minority race, and your portfolio only includes those from this minority, there is a non-trivial chance that a potential client may be put off (if they are not from your specific race).</p>

<p>Example : you are Indian, and your previous clients were all Indian. Now a Chinese couple comes to you, sees your profile/portfolio and they may be put off by that.</p>

<p>Again, not everyone will mind these little things, but some people do and not because they are racist. It's just a psychological thing I guess.</p>

<p>Again, there is also a technical side to it. Indians for example are not of a homogeneous skin tone. There are Indians with skin nearly as light as a white Caucasian, and there are Indians with skin as dark as a really dark African American. So in a typical group of Indians, you'd have so many different skin tones. What do you expose for? [probably not a big deal for someone really good, but a relatively inexperienced photographer may mess it up]</p>

<p>Ethnicity bears weight when the rituals and traditions of different peoples come into play. Most weddings are based in the religious traditions of the couple's culture. Showing a knowledge of, or genuine interest in, different cultures can work in your favor. Hindu traditions are different than Sikh. Jewish different than Christian. Spanish different than English.</p>

<p>We just shot an Armenian wedding this past weekend (our first) ... it was different, with different rituals. The Reverend Father was good enough to take the time to teach us about them so we wouldn't be surprised by something. </p>

<p>Technically, if you meter a midtone ... all of the skin tones should fall into their proper place.</p>

<p>Personally, I find it more difficult to shoot a translucent white skinned Irish woman wearing a white gown standing next to a bridesmaid who recently used an artificial tanner : -)</p>