Any guesses?

<p>Great deduction Steve. 09-09-09.</p>

<p>Our local poet-songwriter of times past (quite international, as there is an autoroute that bears his name) died on 08-08-88 at 8 pm I believe, which makes the person and date particularly memorable in pop culture.</p>

<p>The video shows an M8 and not an M9. But that doesn't mean anything, of course. The smile of the CEO at the end suggests they like the aspect of mystery, that no doubt adds to the demand of the viewer.</p>

<p>M9 or not, I think that if it is announced (the S2 was announce a long time ago but anyone seen one yet?), I will wait until its bugs are worked out. I had to wait several months before Leica sent me a new M8 body to replace an early defective one. </p>

<p>Frame 0.54 and 0.58 are glimpses of the M9; and as I suspected it is going to be a bit of elephant (reminiscent of the M5) in order to accept the FF sensor. Note that in frame 0.54 not only are the Menu and the control buttons different from the M8 but there is a greater distance between the eyepiece and the controls, indicating a higher top plate. This is verified in from 0.58. </p>

<p>Confirmed by a big US Dealer that it is the M9 that will be introduced, but the potential "wrinkle" is that internally it may have some chips and wires that lets Leica tout that the M9 is "autofocus ready."</p>

<p>How to do it and still make the camera look and feel like an M is going to be the trick. I doubt they want to repeat the M5 experience. Perhaps they have come up with an "autofocus rangefinder" combination. Such direction would make sense and a lot of money for Leica since just about every camera being made today has autofocus. Think of how large the market might be for an "autofocus Summicron" and the fact that it would open up the Leica market to the non-pro with big bucks.</p>

<p>Making autofocus lenses is old technology for Leica but integrating them into something lightweight, compact, and compatible with the M we all know is the hard part. I would guess AF lenses for the M would price between $4500 and $5500 for a 50 mm or 35 mm and I understand the list price of the M9 will be $6500.</p>

<p>All this comes from one dealer who claims some inside knowledge, so for a couple of weeks it is all speculation.</p>

<p>First, reading the tea leaves in the video, there is something teased that is an M digital rangefinder body different from the current M8/M8.2 as seen from the back - the visible differences are covered above. The front view shows an M8 logo - but I hope you folks have heard of <em>video editing</em>. The front and back views don't have to be the same camera - they don't even have to have been shot on the same day or on the same continent.</p>

<p>Second, it is being introduced in a webcast at 9:09 am (New York time) on 9/9/09 - read from that what you will, but somehow I don't think Leica would bother with that precise time and date simply to show an "M8.3".</p>

<p>Rudy Spiller (ex-Zeiss) has been Leica CEO since March. Hired to replace moneyman/owner Andreas Kaufmann, who stepped in as interim CEO for a year after Steve Lee's departure. If the M-whatever-this-is actually turns out to be 24 x 36, it will likely be because Spiller has kicked some ---- to get it moving and out the door sooner than most people (including Leica) thought possible. Kaufmann is still the money power. Spiller's background includes running a service center for Zeiss, among other things - can't hurt for Leica to be run by someone who knows nuts and bolts and believes in getting things done on time.</p>

<p>Tea leaves is all will have for the next ten days. Speculation is harmless fun. I expect we will be both a little disappointed and pleasantly surprised when the M9 is finally out there. I would be elated if those blasted Uv/IR cut filters would be unnecessary on the M9. There has been a rumor to that effect, which. I suspect, will be proved false. </p>

<p>Who is Apple? Don't they make mp3 players?<br>

I expect that the announcements from Leica -- whatever they turn out to be -- will make my wallet itch. If there is a full-frame M-camera, then my plans to buy a lens may have to wait.<br>

I'm looking forward to hard announcements. It is fun, though, to have all the bogus pictures.</p>

>>> Who is Apple?

How about a company that has $31 billion cash in the bank with no debt. With a retail store (one of many) on NYC's 5th

Avenue that by itself generates approx $350 million in annual sales with metrics better than any other retail store. And in the past

has pretty much transformed the dying music industry and now enjoys 25% of all music sales (counting CDs and paid online) in the US market and 69% of the US paid online market. And is on its way to dominate the smartphone market. Apple also

makes computers.

www.citysnaps.net