Lens for Portraiture and Street

sd_woods

<p>I was not sure whether to post this in Street, or Portraits, or Nikon. In the end, I decided that since I'd be using Nikon equipment for both, and this question was equipment specific, I'd post it here.</p>

<p>I have a D40, and a non-VR 18-55mm kit lens. I feel that the lens is just too bloody slow, especially at the long end. I am primarily interested in taking intimate pictures of people. My budget is rather modest(about £250, I don't mind spending more if I feel it's worth it), however: I will seriously consider manual focus lenses, and primes as well.<br /> Speed, size, and weight are the priorities, because if it's not fast enough, I might as well keep the lens I have, and if it's too big or heavy, I'll probably end up leaving it at home.</p>

<p>Thank you for your time</p>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I don't really have the nerve for street photography yet(started taking photography seriously in February), and in the meantime I'm concentrating on portraits as they are what I enjoy the most. I loathe flashes, and as such I need a fast lens, maybe something for head and shoulders portraits. Would the 85mm be suitable for this?</p>

I shoot a lot on the street and do a bunch of street portraits. I recommend the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - essentially the only

lens I use. I pretty much shoot with it wide open all the time cuz of the way it renders subjects against cluttered

backgrounds. Great for low light, too. I have an 85/1.8, but it's just way to long for shooting on the street or doing portraits

with a crop cam.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>SD, consider getting a couple of manual focus lenses. The f/5.6 you have on the long end of the 18-55 is really ridicously slow.</p>

<p>I use 105/2.5 for heads & shoulders but I shoot them tight. Small manual focus primes you might want to consider are 20/3.5, 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 85/2 and 105/2.5. As I'm sure you know they won't meter on the D40 so you'll be back in the early 1950's but with an LCD and a histogram :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use a D700, so it may not apply as well in your case, but I basically use two lenses on the street (where I shoot regularly), those being the 50/1.8 and 85/1.8. I've found myself to be considerably more successful on FX than DX with those lenses and focal lengths, for what it's worth. <br>

If I may suggest it, try those lenses with a Nikon film camera sometime. You may be surprised by what you see.</p>

<p>SD,<br>

for me one is the best "Portraiture and Street" lens, the Nikon 16-85mm but it's almost double of your budget... I own this lens and although a bit slow, i find it perfect for portraits and as a walk around lens; while in holidays in Europe I have no problem to shoot in the narrow european streets at 16mm or to include the entire Plaza Mayor in Madrid or the San Marco square in Venice!<br>

If you can find the money and buy it you'll never regret it!</p>

<p>rgrds</p>

<p>Brad,<br>

I found a one-star review on the Tamron, and as such I'm avoiding it. Apparently once the zoom was moved, the autofocus stopped working, although this was probably an isolated case. Mainly, I feel it is too similar to the lens I already have.</p>

<p>Pete,<br>

I think learning how to evaluate light myself would be a useful skill, so having to meter myself is fine by me, for the time being at least.</p>

<p>Gary,<br>

Excuse me for my ignorance, but what exactly does NAI mean? Also, I don't think I will consider the micro nikkor, as I already have that focal length covered, and micro/macro photography is of no interest to me.</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

I loathe flashes because I find them obtrusive. Later on I will probably start using them, but for now I consider them accessories rather than, like a lens, essential kit.</p>

<p>Josh,<br>

I own a Zorki 4k with a 50mm lens, so I will be getting some experience there. That is, when I can get the film rewind working.</p>

<p>Gogu,<br>

I find that lens at £429 brand new, so I may keep that in mind for Christmas. For now however, it is too expensive.</p>

>>> Brad,I found a one-star review on the Tamron, and as such I'm avoiding it. Apparently once the zoom was moved, the

autofocus stopped working, although this was probably an isolated case. Mainly, I feel it is too similar to the lens I already

have.

Where was this one-star review? Just about every review I've seen people have been extremely positive about this lens.

Also, the lens' wide aperture gives you creative capabilities far above the kit lens.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>SD,do not dismiss Brads advice so quickly( that Tamron review sounds bogus.I have owened and abused several Tamrons and they have never let me down).He knows of what he speaks,this is one serious street shooter.Check out his postings.I use a Sigma 18 to 50 2.8 for street work myself.When your confidence improves to move in closer you will be sorry not to have a fast wide angle option.</p>

<p>FYI, Tamron has announced an stabilized of the 17-50mm f/2.8:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090107tamron17mm50mm.asp">http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090107tamron17mm50mm.asp</a></p>

<p>Having owned the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX Nikkor, I got spoiled by having the AF-S motor, which the Tamron lenses don't have. But I've been impressed by the small size and image quality of the Tamron 17-50mm.</p>