Best High ISO performance Nikon D3 vs Canon 5D MKII?

<p>It's either a tie (according to DxO's downampled comparison) or slight edge to the 5DII. The extra resolution _might_ mean you like larger prints better. Maybe. In a high-ISO shot, the middle tones and highlights should have more detail in the 5D2 images, while the shadow areas should look similar.</p>

<p>Of course, if you need burst speed and only make smaller prints, it's a slam dunk for the D3. And the D3x should give you the best of both worlds.</p>

Disclaimer: I've never used either camera, but I was surprised by that, so I checked DxOmark.

My reading of the downsampled comparison is that it's the D3 that is slightly ahead in all the (print) categories except dynamic range, where they seem basically identical from 800-3200. The D3 is also listed as being slightly more sensitive (E.g. at indicated ISO of 1600, the D3 is slightly more sensitive than the 5Dii). Not that most of the differences are big of course, and for low ISO the 5Dii presumably has some resolution advantage.

<p>That's because the D3 pixels are larger than the 5D2 pixels, and thus the individual pixels have lower noise, but you can downsample a higher resolution image to reduce both noise and detail, resulting in a rather similar images. The bit about the extra resolution in the middle tones and highlights being valuable is my theory; YMMV. IMHO, the 30% extra resolution should be significant, although it requires lenses that are sharp wide open for it to be useful in low-light work.</p>

<p>It is probably academic anyway as it would be almost impossible to see a difference between the two in print.</p>

<p>As for 800% magnification on a monitor you <em>may</em> see slight differences but I guess it would be a matter of opinion as to which was better.</p>

<p>I like the advice to buy the one you have lenses for.</p>