Composition and my tendency to go "left"

joaqfer

<p>Hey everyone,<br>

I'm just getting into a lot of photography, and sort of studying technical issues and composition, lightning, etc.<br>

One thing that I've observed in the pics I take is that I tend to put my object of interest on the left side, or most of my pics tend to go to the left.<br>

In terms of composition, is this some sort of a rule of thumb or is it just my preference to go that way?<br>

Thanks,<br>

<strong>joaquin</strong></p>

<p>Based on the photos you have posted I think you are making decent choices. The question is do you realize the choices you are making? In your photo "Basket and Shades" the basket is on the right, but because of the shadow flowing to the right moving it to the other side would not have made sense. In "Wired" the street we are led down is on the right. In "Red Ribbon Girl" the subject is on the left, but she is looking right, so again that makes sense. In "Nano-Cromatic" the subject is on the right, with the sidewalk leading into the photo on the left. Based on a limited portfolio I would say this is less of a tendency as it is a logical artistic choice based on your subject matter.</p>

I just checked out your portfolio, and I see what you mean. It's probably just a preference and something

that looks natural to you. It's certainly not "bad" or "wrong." Quite the contrary in fact, as people's tendency initially is to

center everything. In general, having your subject offset tends to be more visually interesting.

Here are a couple of articles you might find interesting. Dealing with the rule of thirds and the golden ratio respectively.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/photographytips/composition.htm

http://fmphotocourses.blogspot.com/2006/10/advanced-composition-and-golden-ratio.html

Of course, the trick is never learning these things. The trick is remembering them when the camera's pressed against

your nose!

Happy shooting!

Tim

<p>If you get into laying out photos on a page, or displaying them as a collection, you'll see the benefits of a variety of subject placements. Get into the habit of thinking through the process a little more, all the way to the end viewer, and enjoying a little more variety will begin to come about on its own.</p>

<p>For example, if you look at ads in print publications, you will often see subjects or lines of attention, pointing inward, toward the gutter, or central binding seam of the publication. On web pages, there will be a similar pattern, drawing a viewer's attention to the middle of the monitor, instead of the outer, physical edges of the screen. </p>

<p>another interesting (to me) thought... I tend to move to focus area, when shooting people, to the top when I shoot in portrait orientation... when I turn the camera back to landscape orientation, I tend to shoot with the subject to the right because thats where the AF point is, and at times there isnt enough time to move it around...<br>

My wife, on the other hand, rotates the camera the other way... I wonder if she and I would have statistically more shots to the left than I? hmmmm....</p>

<p>Back in the 70's when I was in the military we trained how to walk straight, i.e not veer to the right or left when blindfolded. I never could master that. We are odd creatures we humans, and rely on so many cues and signposts for navigation -<br>

http://www.usnews.com/articles/science/2009/08/21/how-to-walk-in-circles-without-really-trying.html</p>

<p>Jim</p>

<p>(yeah I still get lost in the woods or a really big Walmart) :-)</p>

When people look at a photo, they usually look at it the same way they read, from top left to bottom right. That is the natural flow of a photo. Generally, the main subject should be on the left, a taller subject should be to the left of a shorter subject etc. It is when you want to change the effect that you change that basic rule. A person walking into a photo from the left looks natural; a person walking our of the photo on the right looks much different, gives an entirely different feel.
James G. Dainis

Chris,

You might be left eye dominant. Try this. With both eyes open point at something across the room. Close your right eye. If the finger is pointing directly at the object looking with your left eye, you are left eye dominant. If the finger is pointing directly at the object looking with your right eye, you are right eye dominant.

I am left eye dominant. If I look at a scene and close my right eye, I don't seem to lose much of the scene. If I look at a scene and close my left eye, I seem to lose a lot of the scene. Looking at things or through a viewfinder with my left eye feels much more natural.

James G. Dainis