How to take silhouette shots similar to these?

ryan_smith9

<p>I am still very much learning how to take advantage of different lighting to add a new dimension to portraits. I am taking pictures for some pregnant friends and they are wanting a silhouette look similar to what is found in the three links below. How do I take these pictures? I believe the first picture has a flash either at about 9 o'clock to the subject, but how is the subject so dark and the background so bright? It can't be just adjusting the shutter speed, can it? Is there another flash on the background maybe? The second shot looks like the meter was adjusting for the outside light, correct? The third shot looks like a flash was pointing to the right of the subject and the shutter speed/aperture were cranked up to make the picture darker. This is the least favorite of the three, but it is something similar to what they are looking for. Any help is appreciated. <br>

Oh yeah, I am using a Nikon D90 with Alien Bees AB800 and SB-600</p>

<p><a href="http://I am still very much learning how to take advantage of different lighting to add a new dimension to portraits. I am taking pictures for some pregnant friends and they are wanting a silhouette look similar to what is found in the three links below. How do I take these pictures? I believe the first picture has a flash either at about 9 o'clock to the subject, but how is the subject so dark and the background so bright? It can't be just adjusting the shutter speed, can it? Is there another flash on the background maybe? The second shot looks like the meter was adjusting for the outside light, correct? The third shot looks like a flash was pointing to the right of the subject and the shutter speed/aperture were cranked up to make the picture darker. This is the least favorite of the three, but it is something similar to what they are looking for. Any help is appreciated. Oh yeah, I am using a Nikon D90 with Alien Bees AB800 and SB-600 Silhouette Amanda's Maternity Portraits http://www.flickr.com/photos/godsemerald/2791086954/"> Silhouette</a><br>

<a href=" Amanda's Maternity Portraits"> Amanda's Maternity Portraits</a><br>

<a href=" 17 week silhouette

<p>Thanks for your help,<br>

Ryan</p>