Best Photos

mdc002

<p>When I got seriously interested in photography (over 30 years ago), I purchased my first slr, a Ricoh Singlex TLS. Looking back at my many transparencies and negatives I began to realize that I had taken some of my best photos with that simple, match needle, manual focus, set everything on your own camera! Well, I have decided to regress and recently purchased a mint Chinon CM-5 camera and a Pentax 50mm f/2.0 lens.<br>

Wow! Am I having fun or what!? No steep learning curve to master white balance, changing shutter speeds, aperture or iso! No 100 page owners manual! No menus to search through! No trying to keep up with the latest technology!(In other words, no new camera of the month!) I have been set free!!</p>

I had exactly the same feeling shooting with a new-to-me Pentax ME yesterday. (Normally I use a Nikon D700 with 10 zillion options. OK, that's an overstatement.. it only has about a thousand.)

On the other hand, the picture of the Pentax ME that I posted was taken with the D700. ;-)

--Marc<div>00UL7O-168363584.jpg.9707411d937d98b8a5fe40f917d4e758.jpg</div>

<p>I just got a new 47" widescreen HD Plasma TV (replacing the old 36" CRT antique), and when watching some wildflowers on a NOVA program, realized how much I miss by not seeing my Kodachromes projected on my old 96" Da-Lite pull-down screen.<br>

Sic Transit Gloria!</p>

<p>There are no menus to read on this one either. I wonder how many people actually read those huge operators manuals, or do they just put the cameras in auto mode and let the doped silicon processor chips function as superior to their own brain? Silicon, silica, sand, dirt.. HMMM Does that make some people dumb as dirt?</p><div>00UL8T-168368384.jpg.02ab41b8d39db2375bd1733cdb91579f.jpg</div>

<p>The name silicon comes from the Latin silex, silicis, the word for "paving stone." So this has all been a plot by the original stone Masons.</p>

<p>In all seriousness, the new cameras are really Cylons that are scanning your brain through your retina, to read your mind and determine what you had hoped your photograph would look like, and attempting to replicate your dream. With this intimate contact with your brain through the viewfinder, the Cylon will eventually detach your retina, leaving you no alternative but to use the Cylon for vision, thus gaining significant dominance over the human population and eventually complete takeover. So for the good of mankind, everyone should use a classic manual camera.</p>

Welcome to the forum! I know the feeling..being set free. Suddenly you feel like you're breathing again and that you are in control. Little to do with Fotos, but back in 1998 I started using Linux and suddenly I felt in control again, like back in the good 'ol DOS days. Glad you had that defining moment and dig in... This forum is all about trying to find that special release..

<blockquote>

<p> I know the feeling..being set free.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>RE : <a href="

Wouldn't you agree it's a little bit of a hassle shooting a DSLR somtimes ? Too many choces, too much plastic, and being a conformist ...... nice to take a break away from "high tech" .</p>

<p>We must keep in mind that the final step is the only really important one -- producing a fine print (however you get there).<br>

Old Engineering Saying: "When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that the original objective was to drain the swamp."</p>

<p>I did a photo shoot a couple of days ago for our company's website. I had to shoot pictures of staff and staff/client interactions to put up on our site and for our brochure. I used my 30D, which is a camera I really enjoy using as it gives great results. I spent most of the day using it but when I was finished I immediately put it away and got out my F-1 and ME-Super. It was quite a relief to handle both, especially my F-1, a pretty straightforward camera with quick, satisfying responsiveness. I enjoy looking forward to getting my pictures back too, part of the excitement of using film.</p>

<p>Marc, that little Pentax is just gorgeous.</p>

<p>Last year I got my hands on two Japanese built Asahi Pentax bodies. One came with a really nice 50mm 1.7 lens and I picked up a 135mm 3.5, all for peanuts. Nice basic cameras. I've only used my more recent Nikon with lots of dials and buttons once since I got those. I plan to take one of the Pentax K-1000's on my next trip as I've only fooled around with them around town. </p>

<p>I'll have to acknowledge that; the only reason I bought a little digi camera was to get images of camera stuff I wanted sell. Of course it is nice for using to make dissassembly images of lens shutters and stuff also. So the digi serves my vintage interests rather well but not necesarrilly the other way round. </p>

<p>The "manual" for my Wista 4x5 large format camera was a single large sheet of paper folded 4 ways, printed in Japanese and poor English. The manual for my D300 is nearly 400 pages, in good (but much harder to understand) English. I enjoy using both cameras very much, though I use my 35mm film cameras a lot more.</p>