Using a D700 with prime lenses

luisarguelles

<p>Ilkka wrote: "I am planning on following Sten Rasmussen's idea of modifying a Canon focusing screen to fit the D3 (some sandpaper work is needed, apparently) and the D700 can take a Katz Eye screen for better manual focusing."</p>

<p>As a D-3 owner who would really like to go back to manual focusing with a G-2 screen or something like it, I'd value any details.</p>

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>To follow on from Ilkka's comments above I firmly believe the 21m Distagon ZF is the best wide-angle lens for SLRs I have ever owned. I am comparing it to the 14-24mm (interesting lens but ultimately utterly useless - to me), the 17-35mm which I still own but it is getting much less use and the Nikkor 20mm which was basically left in the dust by any of the above. When stopped down a bit the ZF is wondrous.<br>

A a further aside yesterday I took out my 24-70mm on a family trip and was reminded that although its optical quality is outstanding I HATED carrying it around and frankly I think its days are numbered as it gets little use because of its bulk. Also from a practical standpoint I get more and more irritated by large lenses as they can act as vast sails in the windy places I sometimes end up in and so much prefer the modestly sized and rather dense ZFs.<br>

In short I have found myself shrugging off all my zooms (including two of the new nano jobs and the vile 70-200mm which I substituted for the older but better 80-200mm) one by one and converting to a set of ZF primes. My current set of ZFs (21mm, 25mm, 35mm & 50mm) when used at their optimum apertures at least equal Nikon's best offerings - zoom or prime - apart from the 21mm and 35mm which are much better. Might plough the proceeds of the 24-70mm into the 100mm ZF.<br>

I now have split image screens installed in my D700 (Katzeye), F6, F5 and F4 and am in total photographic nirvana with this setup along with my primes. The only zoom I feel much affection towards is my 17-35mm whose performance - in spite of its relative age - remains pretty impressive although not quite class-leading anymore but nevertheless has no real competition. It covers its range with aplomb, it takes filters and I can use it on my old F2AS when I want to. The only Nikon primes that I now have are the new 24mm PC-E and the very new 50mm f1.4G. All the other AFDs I had have been culled.<br>

And last but not least I must agree with Luis that the best wide-angle lens I have used of any format is the 21mm Biogon for Contax G. I rue the day I sold that kit.</p>

<p>Luis<br>

I should preface my comments by stating that I am not a professional. I generally attempt to get better than average documentation of my family and friends.<br>

I am happy with my D700 and the 50 AF-D 1.4. It is my primary lens. I use it along with a 20 AF-D, 80-200 AF-d and 105 Micro. Although the 50 is on 90% of the time. I just added a 50MM Leica summicron, and along with a Leitax DIY conversion, have it mounted on my D700 as well. I hope its the ultimate: Leica lens on a Nikon body. Time will tell.<br>

As a kid I only had a 50mm and wanted longer and zoomier lenses. After finally having them, I find them heavy and attract too much attention for me. More so when a hood is added. I am sure that there is a quality difference vs the newer lenses, but for my documentary style of shooting it does not come into play.</p>

<p><em>A a further aside yesterday I took out my 24-70mm on a family trip and was reminded that although its optical quality is outstanding I HATED carrying it around and frankly I think its days are numbered as it gets little use because of its bulk. </em></p>

<p>James, you've nailed my point of view!</p>

<p>Lou, it's nice to see you're using a 20mm AF-D on your D700. Any samples?</p>