GAIN?

pete_harlan1

<p>Gain usually refers to the strength of a signal (how much the signal is amplified). When the image captured by the sensor is converted to a signal it can be amplified. My guess (and it is a guess) is that when the image is converted into a signal it has a set strength at the base ISO of the camera. That strength can be inceased or decreased by a certian amount. My guess is that the higher the ISO the more the signal is amplified and the lower the ISO the less it is amplified. I have no idea what the default signal strength is with digital cameras.</p>

<p>Gain normal or standard is the base ISO of the sensor/camera. Any raising of the ISO from that base value constitutes a "gain up" situation. On television cameras, there's usually a 3 position switch called "gain", which toggles between 3 user-set values.</p>

<p>Hmm?</p>

<p>Well the ISO explanation seems most plausible and logical. I too thought the same but said to myself "Hmm, the ISO is already stated in the exif data;why the redundency?"<br>

I (thought) I had not changed ISO and was seeing gain changes in the EXIF data.<br>

Worse, I had wondered if it was something I set via a menu; which seemed doubtful as I am quite aware of what every menu item does on the D-300. ;)</p>

<p>Thanks all.</p>