Up to date on new battery travel restrictions?

<p>I have included a link that explains new travel restrictions for those carrying lithium batteries. These in my opinion seem rather Draconian but I'm not the one who makes these decisions. If you are traveling, especially with your Nikon strobe/s (and who doesn't?), you probably need to be familiar with these new rules.<br>

http://www.newser.com/story/15159/battery-ban-begins-on-airlines.html</p>

<p>Jim Williams</p>

<p>I was going to switch from Lead-acid batteries to Lithium-Ions for my custom-made Vaga-Rons last year, which power my large flashes. Instead of 8 pounds per battery, it would''ve been 1.5 pounds each. With ten battery/inverter packs, that would've been a huge weight savings. However, these new rules killed the project. I doubt that the airlines would have let me bring ten of these monsters, each as large as a motorcycle battery, on the aircraft. My final solution was to pre-order lead-acid batteries from Shenzen China and have them waiting for me in Beijing.</p>

<p>There have been a number of incidents in the last decade involving these. There was a pallet of thousands of them that caught fire repeatedly at LAX airport that had to be extinguished several times, they spontaneously re-ignited themselves. It's fortunate that it didn't happpen during a flight.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2009-08-25-lithium-batteries-on-planes_N.htm?csp=34">http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2009-08-25-lithium-batteries-on-planes_N.htm?csp=34</a></p>

<p>That is incorrect, Shun, at least according to the rule as it is written. Only batteries IN the device are allowed on board, ANYWHERE, carry-on or as checked baggage. Loose, or "spare" batteries are not allowed anywhere on the plane, technically. But in reality it is not the case</p>

<p>I am currently mid-trip on a photography filled vacation. I carried on 5 loose EN-EL3e batteries, 2 loose EN-EL9 batteries, 16 loose AA Ni-MH cells, and a spare Li-Ion battery for my notebook (these are in addition to what was <em>in</em> my cameras, computer and flash). I have been through security screening about a dozen individual times since February with the same kit, and my spare batteries never get a second look despite having my packed roll-on opened and checked on all but 3 or 4 times through x-ray.</p>

<p>The battery rule, if it is still "on the books", is not policed or enforced in my experience. Has anyone else actually had the loose battery ban enforced?</p>

<p>Ronald.... The LAX incident 10 years ago involved ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THOUSAND regular, disposable Li-Ion batteries, not rechargable Li-Ions. Not exactly your average passenger's load. :)</p>

<p>The current debate is not focused on the average photographer or traveler... It is focused on the "pallets of thousands" of Li-I batterys that companies ship from manufacturing to distribution centers as cargo. 90% of these pallets are shipped correctly and there is not a problem.<br>

However it's that 10% that are not sealed correctly or packed correctly that short out and start a fire... Airline pilots today are not notified when their plane has a pallet of these batteries on board. My understanding is that at a minimum - they (pilots) want to be notified when the batteries are on board and how many there are - and then they want to be able to refuse to accept them as cargo.</p>

<p>We all need to keep in mind what needs to be in place for a fire to begin: Ignition Source - some kind of a spark or heat. 2. Fuel - something needs to be present to burn 3. Oxygen. The ignition source in most of these cases is either heat (cargo holds get really hot on the ground) or a spark from two uncovered metal contact points rubbing against each other. 2. the batteries are the fuel. 3. Oxygen is not available in most cargo holds above 10,000 feet...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I've traveled in the States, Europe and Asia since 2007 and on every flight I've carried at least one spare Lion battery in my camera bag. No one has ever said anything about them. I fact, I've never even been asked by security to open a bag containing a DSLR and lenses--even though people ahead and behind me have had laptops and video cameras examined--even a c-pap machine! Wonder why still cameras seem exempt?</p>

<p>Shun.... I've never put the batteries in plastic bags. They're just in the front pouch in my camera bag in the roller bag. And this is a roller FILLED with camera equipment, so I'm not exactly a casual traveler with a body and two lenses in my roll-on.</p>

<p>ok so i've got a friend that works at TSA so i get some info that most people don't know... here's the unofficial standard policy... if you have a ton of photo gear they don't have time to go through it all and check every single pocket and pouch. <br>

they need to keep the line moving or people will miss their flights<br>

they rely on their chemical test pads to find the problems. he says if you look a bit casual they will let you go easier.. guys in expensive suits that carry tons of stuff are the ones they are suspicious of. usually expensive suit guys only carry clothes and simple necessaties. <br>

he also said they don't care about batteries because they let people bring extra ones for laptops, dvd players and all sorts of electronics<br>

they are more worried about droping your d3x than they are about finding a bunch of extra batteries. ha ha</p>

<p>Michael, your TSA friend notwithstanding, I have had a much different experience. On several occasions I have had my entire stock of batteries confiscated. Not once, but several times, both in the US and in China. What I think sets people off is, they see these homemade wiring harnesses and they get nervous. The manufacturers of these sealed batteries have provided stickers and materials sheets that I put on the batteries and carry with me to show the TSA people that they comply and can be transported on an airplane, but it doesn't seem to have mattered. I have had so much hassling with batteries over the years with security that it isn't worth the risk anymore, that I won't be able to get them through. Luckily, all of the confiscations have occurred on the return flights, so I have been able to do my work. But from about two years ago, I just consider batteries disposable and part of the cost of doing business, and abandon them. It's $200 wasted every time, but that's the way it is these days.</p>

<p>Here is the craziest thing. I have tried to carry on these batteries, but the airline people would rather I checked them. If you are that worried about spillage, this is a poor decision. In my bag, I have full control of them. Once they go into the pool of checked baggage, it's out of my hands, and yes potentially a hazard. I know what's in the bag; what about the hard-working baggage handler who has 1000 bags to load and unload on the airplane ? Is he going to be as careful as I am with it ? I doubt it. </p>

<p>Any rechargible battery, Li-Ion, NiCd or NiMH, can release hundreds of amps if shorted. This will turn a small metallic item red hot in seconds. Make sure they are packed safely, even if TSA turns a blind eye, and don't carry them in a pocket unless you want to do what shooters call the "hot brass dance".</p>

<p>The Department of Transportation has specific rules regarding transportation of Li-Ion batteries, which don't have to be shorted to cause fires. There is a maximum size, too. I have an Anton-Bauer Dionic 90 video battery, which is just under the limit. If you recall stories about metallic sodium and potassium exploding in contact with water, lithium is even more reactive, and requires special extinguishing agents (class IId).</p>

<p>In April I flew to Chicago with x10 Nikon SB-28 flash and x10 CyberSync triggers, along with two spare batteries for my D300. The batteries in the SB flash were NiMH for a total of 40, and the triggers had two AA lithium batteries, total of 20. Grand total was 60 AA sized batteries, LOL! Yes, it got noticed on both ends of my flight. I simply told them it was flash units for photography and they were free to open it and look at it. There was a line about 100 yards long, and both times they just ran it on through. The batteries were all in the devices. At the Chicago airport, they did seem more interested in all my sync cords, used to connect triggers to flash. I haven't tried getting my four Alien Bees Vagabond battery packs on a plane yet, and am not looking forward to it either. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>