Mid West travel photography

anthony_harrison

I�m planning a trip to the USA next year which involves driving with

friends from Michigan out as far as eastern Wyoming, in a big loop.

I�ll be spending most of my time in S.Dakota, and I�m especially

interested in producing good images of the Badlands. I dare say

they�re one of the most photographed locations in North America, sure,

but the pictures I�ve seen make me long to shoot my own! As well as

(excuse the expression) 35mm I�ll be carrying a P67; I only have the

45mm and 165mm lenses, so what would an experienced Mid-West

photographer recommend as extra focal lengths to acquire? What key

pieces of advice would you offer? I assume there are pro dealers in

the bigger places we�re likely to pass through (Omaha, Des Moines etc)

where I can get refrigerated supplies of Velvia, but how about smaller

places like (e.g.) North Platte, Grand Island, Casper, Siox Falls,

Rapid City, and so on? Am I wildly optimistic? Might there be pro E6

labs in such places? After my trip last year to Canada, I would be

nervous about carrying much film through airport x-ray machines,

especially at the UK end, where the ignorant security-fascists can be

unco-operative about requests to hand-inspect.

Lastly, a photography teacher I know suggested that Fuji reversal film

sold in N.America has a slightly different colour balance than that

sold in Europe. This sounds unlikely - any truth in it?

I�d be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Re. carrying film through airport x-rays

<p>

I keep all my film in a plastic bag inside an easily accessed pouch of the camera bag. At the airport, take out the pastic bag and feed the camera bag through x-ray. Walk through the metal-detector with all your film inside the plastic bag. Since all 120/220 film are plastic, metal-detector won't sound.

<p>

I've never had problem with this. Only time I got stopped was at the parliment hill tour when the guard saw me put a bag filled with little red foil packs inside my pocket. After I explained to him that it was VPS and not TNT he let me through.

As for lenses, I would recommend something between your two, like a 90mm or 105mm, and a larger telephoto, like a 300mm. Or, you could just get a focal length doubler. I have a 300mm East German lens adapted to my P6x7, and it's quite good. See if you can rent equipment when you get over here. If you ever come to the Northwest, I recommend Glazer's Camera Supply.

<p>

If I was doing it, I would get a large, cheap styrofoam ice chest and keep my film in that. Keep ice in it, of course. Then you can stock up on refrigerated film in the cities. Attach aluminum foil around it to reflect heat.

<p>

Take a look through some of the U.S. on-line yellow pages (try the <a href="http://206.141.250.39/">Original Yellow Pages</a>) and write down a list of labs and photo shops. If they have email addresses, write them and ask them who they recommend in the area for what services. Also, some small places do have good E-6 labs. See if you can contact pro photographers in the area for info.

Omaha and Des Moines are certain to have pro dealers -- I suspect

Rapid City does also, altho I have always stocked up either in

Minneapolis or on the West coast when going there, and so have no

direct experience with the local dealers and labs. Given the size of

the medical and other professional communities in Rapid City, a pro

lab is highly likely.

<p>

Be sure while you are in Rapid City to check out the American Native

arts and crafts dealers -- they have a wonderful selection and are authentic, unlike much of what you will find in tourist areas.

Custer State Park is a must-see, with some of the best wildlife viewing in the West, as well as arch-typical western scenery.

I was in South Dakota two months ago, & I second the recommendation for the normal lens & the longer telephoto. The wide-angle shots I took of the Badlands (24mm in 35mm format--sorry, I left the MF at home) didn't do much for me; my favorites are the ones from the normal lens & the tele. Bring a macro lens or extension tubes as well. Also, don't miss out on Wind Caves National Park just south of Custer State Park. We camped in Wind Caves as it was less crowded & more peaceful--& with plenty of good hikes (& the cave is excellent!).

I've been in the Badlands, with a P67 and 45, 75, 90, 105, 135 and 200. I used the 45 and the 90 the most, and the 135 next. It just so happens that these are the same 3 that I use most of the time, anywhere. Since, I have picked up a 300, but it sees most of its use with a doubler. It is a nice piece of glass, but I tend to lean towards wide angles for scenics, and am not much involved with wildlife.

<p>

If you are traveling by auto, pick up topo maps of the states you plan to spend some time in. They are around $16.95 at a Barnes and Noble, or other major book stores, and have "all" of the roads on them as well as the topo info. They will give you names, bios, and directions to the major and minor parks and attractions of the state. I used one this summer for a few days in southern Minnesota, and it was invaluable for finding short cuts to out of the way places. Pick up a regular map to rough out a route and use these to fine tune the route, they have a "LOT" of info in them and are worth the money if you really wabt to know where you are. Good luck, you should have fun.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a good time! For a high-quality, fair price E-6 lab check out or call the Snap Shot at (715) 834-3595. (ask for Tom) They cater to both Pro's and amateurs and have excellent processing facilities with computer calibrated chemistry. Prices are reasonable; $6.75 for a 36xp roll of film and all E-6 work can be run same day or quicker.

<p>

As far as the color balance, I have never heard that before but I'm not saying it's not true. I've found that Kodak color print films from S. America and other places are not as high quality as those films manufactured here, as they often use older emulsion formulas.

<p>

I love Fuji Velvia and don't foresee any problems with anything you purchase here.

Most of these places will have a Chamber of Commerce and some

sort of visitors information center which will enable you to get

in touch with labs long before you go.<p>

About a year ago I was travelling in Europe. At the Frankfurt

airport I asked for a hand inspection and the guard just sent it

through x-ray despite my protests. ISO 100 transparency, ISO

100 and 400 bw, ISO 50 and 100 color neg were all fine but I

would not take the chance again if I had a choice. From my

experience most airport security in US will put up a fuss over

hand inspecting but if you have the film in plastic bags and

allow them to x-ray camera bags they will relent. I discovered

you just need to ask 3 times politely.<p>

Airport security is *required* to give a hand search on film and it

certainly shouldn't take multiple requests. You might want to carry

this document: http://www.faa.gov/avr/AFS/FARS/far-108.txt with you.

During "crisis" times, the regulations don't apply, and when I

traveled during the Gulf War, there was no hand inspection.

<p>

I don't think any other country has this as a law and when it is

done, it is a courtesy.