Canon 50mm 1.4

roy_lang

<p>I have an auto focus problem with 50mm 1.4 lens when shooting close portraits. It is just a small turn out of focus but noticeable when zoomed in. It will focus on manual clearly but can't understand why it stops out of focus in auto. Is there something I can do to adjust focus?</p>

<p>Roy, if you do a search you'll find any number of threads (many of them with posts by me) commenting on the design weakness of the 50/1.4 that leads to AF failure. I am afraid that what you are describing sounds like the early stage of that failure. If so, a trip to Canon or a good independent repairer is going to be needed. However, if it's only a small effect then it might be no more than a calibration issue, or it might be simply focusing system behaviour that is shown up most clearly at very wide apertures, caused – for example – by the user not realising that the focusing "points" cover much larger areas than the size of the boxes suggests.</p>

<p>Focusing--both manual and automatic--recently went out on my copy. Canon fixed it for $95, including return shipping from their facility in NJ. You might want to look at this link:<br>

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct">http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=OnlineRepairBookingAct</a></p>

Yeah, at least it's a cheap fix. I've killed my 50 three times (I shoot punk shows, shit happens). But restoring the AF on my

24/1.4 cost $250 (I'm assuming because the floating element makes it a PITA to take apart.)

<br><br>

The problem is that the front moves during focusing. So any blow to the front is a blow directly to the

focusing mechanism. The lens-specific Canon hood attaches to the non-moving part of the lens and provides protection.