Shoot film and convert to digital?

jim_long5

<p>Scanning on a dedicated scanner at 5400 dpi is slow. But tedious? Well, if you have nothing better to do than watch the screen, yes. If you have other things to do you do them and come back to the scan. It's the first scan that's the pain if I have nothing else to do (rare). After that I'm photoshopping that first scan while doing the next scan. There are worse things in life.</p>

<p>The good thing about film is that I can quickly look at the 36 frames in the lightbox and I know what to scan. Editing tons of digital images is very time-consuming, even with the help of Bridge.</p>

<p>But it's fun. Just like fishing, if that's your bag, though it more time consuming and expensive than getting your fish at the supermarket.</p>

<p>For my occasional photo work at school I use digital. For my creative work its digital and film. I'd like to expand my digital darkroom to include MF. RF MF cameras are cheaper and lighter than their digital brethren.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"The good thing about film is that I can quickly look at the 36 frames in the lightbox and I know what to scan. Editing tons of digital images is very time-consuming, even with the help of Bridge."</p>

<p>I must be doing something wrong.</p>

<p>For slides I put them in clear archival pages. I then view the pages on my large Just Normlicht light table.</p>

<p>For RAW files I load them into the computer, fire up Bridge, and view them on a virtual light table.</p>

<p>It seems pretty much the same except for the fact with Bridge I am able to categorize them, sort them, move them into new folders, rate them, label them, make notes, and have access to all the shooting information. I can view a hundred images at once and can choose one and zoom in.</p>

<p>I still love slides but getting them into the computer does take me more effort.</p>