Is my Imacon dying?

<p>I have an aged Imacon Precision II that I got used back in '99 when I had some folding cash, and it's suddenly started scanning awefully. Even on 300dpi preview-mode, the amount of noise is visible from across the room, and the noise comes with a massive orange cast in the no-negative-here space that results in a seriously em-blue-ified image that's no fun to color correct.<br>

I've tried CCD calibration, etc., to no avail; am I about to be forced into the low-rez digital world? I'd hate to lose 4x5, 6x9, 645 and 35mm to be stuck with my prosumer APS-frame Pentax (nice as it is for snapshots).<br>

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as I can't afford to bop out and purchase another one. :-)</p>

<p>Could it be that the bulb needs replacing?</p>

<p>Hasselblad still supports all those scanners as far as I know, so you could also inquire of them. And you could get it serviced; how easily would just depend on where you're located and how much you're willing to spend on it. I think a standard maintenance/overhaul routine isn't that much though.</p>

<p>Also, you might want to ask over at the Yahoo Imacon group, see if anyone else has had this sort of problem. I noticed over there the other week that someone mentioned an alternative bulb that's considerably cheaper than what Hasselblad is charging.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you give up on it, let me know. I've got the Flextight Photo, and would love to move up to any 4x5 model! But really, I hope it all resolves, simply and inexpensively.</p>

<p>I suspect its time for a new bulb. They are nothing special (you can probably find one at a good hardware store) but they have a special overlay on them which in theory you can carefully strip from the old bulb and place on the new one but if you tear it, well back to Imacon for their version. In the end, might be easier just to order a new one from them and bite the bullet on the expense (if memory serves me, its about $100). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)