Using SB800 & SB600 in the Creative Lighting system

chauncey_huffman

<p>I currently have and LOVE a SB800 and I'm about to order a SB600 to use on my back up D70 for weddings. The 800 will be on a D300. I don't have very much experience using the CLS but I would really like to get into it so I could use it for outdoor portraits and possibly at weddings. Could anyone give me some advice or insight on how to use it. Also, would my money be well spent if I put up the extra $250+ to get the SB900 and have the 800 as my back up? Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>The SB900 is much easier to set up CLS over the SB800s. Mainly because the interface is easier to navigate. The 900s do have a bad overheating issue and if you're shooting outdoors this is much more noticable. The SB900 has go alot going for it. It zooms to 200mm which has been a huge help to me.<br>

I think the 900 is the best strobe Nikon has ever made...if it wasn't for the overheating issue. Because of this SB800s are holding their value on the used market.</p>

<p>I recently got an SB-900 and love it - much easier to use than my 800 and sooo many more features than a 600. I have not come across the over-heating issue as I don't hammer it, but I saw it in many threads when looking myself. If you are going to use it for weddings then perhaps be prepared for this - but this is when your 800 would come in. The main thing to compare is whether you would want to use your new flash in manual (SU4) mode which is sometimes useful and whether you would ever want to use it as a master. This (plus the ability to zoom to 200mm and have intelligent filters) is what swung it for me. Bottom line is what you would otherwise use the cash for - perhaps a battery pack or Rayflash for the 800???? Enjoy the CLS - it is an absolute marvel!<br>

andyc</p>

<p>I love CSL, but shooting outside with it will be a learning curve. And for wedding work, could be questionable as no two situations are ever the same and you really need consistency. In a nutshell, if your remote flash can't "see" the signal from the commander, your remote flash won't trigger. Bright light outdoors will cause this to happen if you start getting some distance between you and the remote flash. So if you are wanting to shoot @ 200mm to get a nice creamy background, you might want to take a look at Radio Poppers to trigger the remote flash. The SB900 is far easier to use than the SB800 or even 600. I bought a used SB600 and still haven't bothered to figure out how to set it as a remote (not the same as the 800!). And, the SB900 will allow you 1/3 stops on the remote flash when shooting the flash in manual power. The 800 only allows full stops when shooting the remote in manual power :(. But be warned, the SB900 will overheat if shooting a lot outside in the sun and/or through a modifier/softbox. For these reason, I usually use the SB800 as the remote, controlled by a SB900.</p>