New to Studio work - Need monolight kit advice

<p>I want to open my own studio before too long (within about 6 months) and I would like to get a decent kit to start out with to (re)learn the ropes. I have <em>some</em> experience, I've taken 3 different studio classes in college, but that was about 4 years ago. I have a budget of only about $500-$600 for this first kit. I don't expect to use this preliminary kit to open my studio, just to learn more on and hopefully then I can add to it. Will (2) 150 w/s or (1) 300 w/s monolight with a reflector do the trick? Also, my studio isn't very big, about 16'x18' of usable space. Any help would be much appreciated.</p>

<p><em>Will (2) 150 w/s or (1) 300 w/s monolight with a reflector do the trick?<br /></em><br />The question is, what trick are you trying to do? Meaning, are you looking at table-top product work? Full-length fashion shots? Group portraits? Head-and-shoulders portraits? <br /><br />Personally, I'd start with the 300w/s single unit with a couple of modifiers, reflectors, and flags... and then add more from there. But this depends entirely on what you'll be shooting. What <em>will</em> you be shooting?</p>