Super light 3/4 size tripod recommendation

<p>I use a Canon G-10 rangefinder camera, which I love. I take it everywhere and now I would like a small 3/4 size tripod I can take everywhere w/ my camera. In a perfect world I would upgrade to a Leica and Gitzo but life is not perfect for me, so what is more reasonably priced.<br>

I' would like a super light weight tripod that extends to maybe 48" and folds very compact. I found the Slik Sprint Mini II GM w/ Ballhead for about $76. Are there any other options to consider that would be a compliment to my lightweight rangefinder? </p>

<p>The Slik Sprint is very good, considering that it is a featherweight tripod. I took one on a long backpacking trip in the spring, and used it to support a medium format press camera(!) It was anything but rigid, and I wouldn't rely on it for long exposures on a windy day, but it was adequate within its limitations.</p>

<p>I use this one. Removed the pan and tilt head which I hate for photography. I unscrewed the original head, drilled a hole through the plastic base plate, and inserted a bolt throught the center column and attached an old, stable but lightweight ball head. The type is a discontinued Slik 38T4. I love it. It goes pretty high as well. Keep the center column down for maximum stability. My combinatin weighs 570 grams without the rollei fix but with the ball head.</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomensch/3837611689/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Unless you are doing flowers or bugs, I can't imagine why you would want a 48" tripod and a super lightweight one at that. This is real amateur stuff. With the G10 and anti vibration setting, you hardly need a tripod for anything except extreme tele settings, and even these you can manage if you are careful. A tripod needs to be HEAVY to be useful for vibration reduction, from camera shake, wind, ground movement (traffic for example), and so that when you kick a leg as you will inevitably do, it doesn't fall down. If you must have a tripod, get a Gitzo that goes up to at least five feet, with a sliding column. You can hang a weight or your camera bag or lunch, on the hook provided at the lower end of the column for more stability.</p>

<p>Peter,<br>

I guess you didn't read my question. Gitzo is out ($$), plus I can hang your camera bag on any tripod for added weight and stability. I can think of many occasions to use tripod w/ my G-10 not just telephoto. I've missed some creative shots because I didn't have a compact tripod w/ me, so the hunt for a cheap one begins.<br>

<br /> The Slik Sprint and Velbon Maxi 343 are good cheap options, and modding a cheap lightweight tripod is a good idea.</p>

<p>Mr. Tabor I read your post. Appeals to the readers based on how poor you are in not being able to afford a nice tripod, are not very worthwhile, since many of the others of us are well aware of the high prices for good equipment. But some of us at least find savings someplace else in our lives in order to pay for the good stuff which enables us to make good pictures. And if you know the best little tripods to buy, why are you posting in the first place. And finally, perhaps you would be less testy if you saw that the reply I sent to your post was intended to furnish constructive ideas about tripod use. If you don't believe me, go to any standard textbook on the subject of tripods and I believe you will find the same recommendations.</p>

<p>No offense taken Peter.</p>

<p>I have a good older tripod but its big and heavy for the little Canon rangefinder. I'm looking for a recommendation of an inexpensive travel one to compliment my little G-10. I've been given some really good recommendations by others in line with my $500 camera. When I saw the little Slik Spirit, I was asking if it is worthwhile. It seems it is, as well as others too.</p>

<p>An you really don't know my financial situation like you claim you do. "In a perfect world I would upgrade to a Leica and Gitzo but life is not perfect for me, so what is more reasonably priced."</p>

• 3 months later...