50D vs. Nikon D90 (and/or other suggestions) for beginner?

kristy_ketterman

<blockquote>

<p>The 50D was a monster!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think the 50D competes with Nikon's D300, and the D300 is 100 g heavier than the 50D, so I think you may want to stay with the D90 or its equivalent at this point. How camera feels in the hand is very important, the better it feels, the more you will use it. A lot of people eventually give up on the dSLRs b/c of its weight and bulk. </p>

<p>The Nikon has less noise at all ISO's then the Canon D50. It also has a wider dynamic range better tonal range and color sensitivity at all ISO's. One good thing to remember when shooting is the higher the ISO you choose the more noise and the lower the dynamic range your image will have. It sounds like the D90 is for you due to price, size and weight. Good luck with whatever you choose.<br>

<a href="http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database">http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Let me just clear up the megapixels for everyone. Yes, more megapixels equals more noise but if you want to be rid of that noise, simply use a noise reducing algorithm to smooth your data, which effectively reduces your final pixel count. Sure, you're never going to make a 50D as smooth as a 5Dii but you can quite easily make 50D images that have the same noise (and sharpness) as lower megapixel cameras such as the 40D and the D300. </p>

<p>And of course, if you have nice glass and need to crop (and can shoot at lowish ISOs) the extra pixels can be a goodsend. I personally have had my butt saved more than once by my 50D when the light was good and the subject was far. When the light gets bad, I simply get closer and "fix" the noise in post. The best of both worlds if you ask me. </p>

<p>To close: I would like to point out that, as well-meaning as they area, the fewer-megapixel zealots are just as misguided as the more-megapixel zealots. </p>

<p>The Nikon guys will say Nikon and the Canon guys will say Canon.<br>

If I had $1500, I would buy a D5000 (same sensor as the D90/D300, but a bit easier to use) and get a good lens like a good, used 18-200 Zoom. That will do you for a year or two.<br>

If you were going Canon, skip the 50D. I'd drop down to the pro's favourite backup camera...the tried and trusted 40D. Its popular for a reason. Get a good used one (going on eBay for about $600), and again get a used Canon super zoom. Put you money into the lens, not the body.<br>

Remember if you are only going to go as big as A4 (10x8) in prints, the D5000 or 40D are way over the resolution you will need anyway. Don't be sucked in. Don't listen to salesmen. You'll get overwhelmed. Read the reviews, buy well, secondhand, and avoid the scary depreciation trap with digital cameras.<br>

Shun...you will like to hear this: A mint 30 yo Nikon FM2n just sold on eBay for A$1100...that's US$850. And Fuji film sales are up again in July by 13%. We also now have three pro labs in Sydney doing E6 processing. It was once down to one.</p>

<p>I'm just going to say better to get a rebel than a D5000, as the latest rebels have less noisy sensors than the D5000, Popphoto. I stand by my original recomendation, but if you do go nikon, dont go below a D90. Also, to the couple of pentax people, pentax makes some decent cameras but there are fewer available lenses and the image quality frankly isn't as good. Stay in the Nikon/Canon safe zone.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>CC Chang- I actually brought that up to him myself (see, I'm learning! lol) and he looked really confused and said he hadn't heard anything like that. Right. lol</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If that was his reaction then 'LOL' is the only thing you do - other than ignore the man. If the XSi is the nicest one to handle but too light you can 'bulk it up' by adding the battery grip - it increases the price closer to that of the 50D/D90 but it is an option.<br>

I think you have made your mind up and are hesitating before handing over your credit card for what is a significant commitment. I would say go for the Nikon and enjoy it!</p>

<p>Wow lots of opinions here. To my thinking the Canon/Nikon match ups don't measure well. The Rebel line and all the D40, 50 60 70 and now 5000 to me are competitors.</p>

<p>When you get to the the Nikon D80 and 90 you enter a more advanced class of camera that Canon really doesn't have an answer for. The 40d and 50d compete more with the D200 and 300 in my book.</p>

<p>Above these models I won't get into as the OP is not looking for cameras in that range.</p>

<p>Kristy all the above mentioned cameras have wonderful image quality and will serve you well. Matter of fact my best print ever was taken with a lowly 6mp Nikon D50 about 5 years ago. at 8x10 I don't think any of my new cameras could add more detail. Sometimes makes me wonder why I need all those MP's anyway. :)</p>

<p>Just pick the one that feels best to you. The D90 sounds like a good fit and I agree a D5000 may work well for you too.</p>

<p>In terms of MP, Canon just announced the G11. Perhaps finally realizing that the blind increase in MP is hurting IQ, the G11 now uses a 10Mp sensor, instead of the 15MP sensor in the G10, and it is optimized for low light sensitivity. Finally! G11 also has a variangle screen, finally. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>If that was his reaction then 'LOL' is the only thing you do - other than ignore the man</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This also says why many companies simply add more MP to their cameras b/c it is easy for these sale persons to promote, and it is hard to explain ISO performance and dynamic range, etc (yawn...).</p>

<p><em>I am a canonite and have been doing weddings recently and I choose the 5dmkii. If I were to use my camera for taking pictures of my boy playing soccer I would choose to buy a nikon.</em><br>

I know it the other way round, Canon is more known for sports photographers for its fast AF. For the 5D mkII you may be right<em> </em> its more suitable for weddings.<br>

But I think there's not really much difference in the mid range league.<br>

<strong>Per-Christian's</strong> advice is the best option in my opinion.<em><br /> </em></p>

<p>Kristy , you cannot go wrong with the D90 its a great camera . One other thing that you need to add to your arsenal as a beginner is a good tripod. Don't underestimate the need for one. Choose one that is light and sturdy and also choose wisely with the head. A good tripod will help you tremendously in creating sharp images. Also do not skimp on the lenses buy the best you can afford at this time. Bodies will change but a good lens can last a lifetime. Good luck</p>

<p>Just get the D90 if it you have an easier time navigating through the menus and controls and it feels right in your hands. That's what's most important if you're going to be shooting a lot.</p>

<p>The images it produces are superb. The video function is just there in case, in the future, you want to explore a different aspect of your creativity OR just ignore it altogether. You're not going to lose anything.</p>

<p>If it feels RIGHT, then it IS right.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Hugh- is there a particular brand of tripod that you'd recommend?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would leave other experts to answer this except to say that I have one made by Gitzo, a highly regarded brand. It is large and sturdy so you can use it to support larger lens under windy conditions as your needs grow. It is not heavy, however, b/c it is made of carbon fiber. It is not cheap and may cost you $2-300 but b/c it is light, you will use it more. Tripods, thank god, don't change so quickly so buy a good one and it will last a good amount of time.</p>

<p>My personal favorite is a mini table top tripod made by Manfrotto. It is small and thus great for traveling. When folded, it is no more than 5 in long and can be held as a monopod. You can used various heads on it depends on the weight of the equipment. They made a matching 482 head that should be perfect for D90 with a medium size lens. You can find these at B&H or Adorama.</p>

<p>the 18-105mm is probably a good lens; I just got the 16-85mm and really like it (I love having 24mm back at the wide end!) and it's a VR (vibration reduction) lens as well. Here is a link to Popular photography's review-they didn't have a review of the 18-105.<br /> Manfrotto make very good tripods. cb</p>

<p><a href="http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Nikon-16-85mm-f-3.5-5.6G-ED-VR-DX-AF-S-Nikkor-Lens-Test">http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Lenses/Nikon-16-85mm-f-3.5-5.6G-ED-VR-DX-AF-S-Nikkor-Lens-Test</a></p>

• 1 month later...