<p>You might be confusing "low-contrast" with "over exposed." Without any contrast or saturation treatment, RAW files will indeed look drab and lifeless. That's normal. They're <em>supposed</em> to look like that until something (the camera, as it makes a JPG, or your software, as it applies default or other processing) does something to optimize them for typical use.</p>

<p>Assuming an Adobe converter, "as shot" is using the EXIF suggestion for WB but this is just a suggestion and plays no role on the actual Raw data. So you can use the suggestion or pick something else to produce a color appearance you desire. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I believe you can set the default white-balance in Adobe Camera Raw to whatever you want. I have mine defaulted to "Daylight", for example.</p>

<p>BTW, I've noticed that ACR's "Daylight" is different from the "Daylight" from my Canon 20D and 40D (temperature and amount of green/cyan correction).</p>

<p>Maybe you guys know the answer, but I suspect that the camera is also applying a custom curve to bump the contrast in the midtones. Might this also be contributing? I'm looking at the point where the robe crosses the shadow on the wood for reference.</p>