$1,500 - Which Camera?

chauncey_huffman

<p>The limitation in the Multi-CAM 1000 is the fact that it has only 1 cross-type AF point; the other 10 line type don't work very well under dim light. That is a hardware limitation which cannot possibly be fixed via software. As I pointed out earlier, I have tested the latest (but certainly not the greatest) Nikon DSLR that uses the Multi-CAM 1000: the D3000, and this problem quickly reminds me the same issue on the first one that uses the Multi-CAM 1000, namely the D200. Of course, if you don't mind AF, lock focus and recompose as we used to do prior to the F5 back in 1996, there is no problem; in that case all you need is just that one cross-type AF point in the center. However, I haven't locked focus and recompose since I bought the F5 back in 1997.</p>

<p>AF on the D300 isn't perfect for wedding photography either. The 15 cross type AF points are in the center 3 columns. If you take vertical shots (portrait mode), all you have in the top 1/3 of the frame is a bunch of line type AF points, and there is where the subjects and their eyes tend to be.</p>

<p>When do I need faster than 2.5 frames/second for weddings? Well, when people are moving. E.g. when the bride is walking down the asile, when the bride and groom are entering the reception, or during the dance, etc. etc. Again, we are not talking about shooting sports here, but I would rather have at least 5 frames/sec in certain occasions. 2.5 fps could be perfectly fine for your shooting style but not for mine. That was why I said try that out yourself. I see very minimal difference between 12 vs. 14-bit captures on the D300 so that I would rather keep the 6 fps option available.</p>

<p>I began using DSLR with D100. I used it for a long time but didn't bother buying D200. However I couldn't wait when D300 was released. I never regretted it. It is such an amazing camera. I have tried some Canons too but I have never got the satisfaction I get from my D300.</p>

<p>There is no question about which is the better camera. I think the answer lies in your intention to keep using your D70 as backup.<br>

I used to own a D90 which was stolen from me along with two lenses and a flash. I have just gotten a D300, it is much "nicer"...<br>

The D300 has more buttons around and they will be in slightly different positions from your D70. This will make switching between cameras frustating because you will be pressing the wrong buttons!<br>

I would get a D90 because it is more similar to the D70 and keep the other $400~$500 towards another lens , whereas the D300 will set you back $1500+ tax.<br>

If you want better low light focusing on your D90, mount an SB800 or SB900 on the camera, set the flash NOT TO FIRE, and set the AF system on the camera to AF-A or AF-S. AF-C will turn off the focus assist beam either on the camera or the one from the Speedlight. This, together with an autofocus prime or pro fast zoom, will enable you to take pictures in very dim conditions with no flash.</p>

<p>I, very recently, decided to go with the D90 - main reason was the £500 difference to the D300 that ended up covering the best part of a new lens. Testing the 2 in store definitely showed how well the D300 handles - and the AF is fairly obviously better than the D90. The D300 felt so much better. But ultimately for me (incidently also moving on from a D70) I could not justify the extra £££ at this time for the features, given the subjects I shoot.</p>

<p>I haven't shot weddings - but I have done various family gatherings which is enough to know that speed is almost everything (and not just lens speed) - that extra half-second of focus hunt can kill an opportunity. I would have thought that if this is for commercial wedding photogrpahy, then the D300 is the one to go for.</p>

<p>2nd hand optoins - I would be careful, I have had my fingers burnt in the past - and it all hinges on the reputation of the seller I guess - and how much of a risk you think it is.</p>

<p>Good luck, Martin</p>