Hasselblad "jam"

dena_degraw

<p>I searched the forum, but couldn't find a question quite like mine.</p>

<p>I accidentally pushed the prerelease button on a 503cx without a lens or a back attached. Mirror is up, curtains are in their normal position, shutter release button won't move in either O or T. Have turned the little screw inside the body both while pushing the shutter button and not.</p>

<p>There must be a simple solution, but can't figure it out. Could someone please help me?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>It won't wind. I sure feel stupid! I thought I knew how to operate my camera! I think I engaged the prerelease lever while taking it out of the case - I heard the mirror flip up. Took off the body cap, and low and behold, the mirror is up. Took off the back cover and the curtains were still closed, and they won't lock up, but I may not know which one to push up first. Checked by third edition manual, and this problem doesn't seem to be addressed.<br>

There's got to be a way to release that silly mirror without having to have the camera taken apart! I love my Hassy's and wouldn't trade them for the world (well, maybe the whole world!), but they sure aren't idiot-proof!</p>

<p>Normally, if you trip the mirror lockup, the mirror will rise and the rear curtains will open and stay open. IF a lens is attached, the shutter will also close. The only action left is to push the button to release the shutter, after which the rear curtains will close. So if the mirror was up and the rear curtains were CLOSED, you might have pushed the shutter release. But that doesn't explain the jam.<br>

Is the lens control shaft on the front of the body indicating cocked or uncocked? If the rounded end of the key on the shaft is pointing right at the red dot, that is the cocked position.</p>

<p>I have a related problem with my 501 C, and I am going to get it fixed if I can ever part with the camera long enough. The camera never jams unless I use the mirror lock up, in which instance it jams about half the time. To date, I have always been able to unjam it using the unjam tool -- see discussion here. </p>

<p>http://photoweb.net/pw_tech/hassy_unjam.html</p>

<p>And here:</p>

<p>http://www.dmin-dmax.fr/photoe2b.htm</p>

<p>For the moment, I am just not using the mirror lockup, and the pics seem fine, even at slow shutter speeds.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Bill Poole</p>

<p>Perhaps the pre-release lever did not return to its original position. Likewise, the shutter release should be disengaged (q.v. the pin which extends from the rear of the camera when the shutter release is depressed.</p>

<p>You should be able to wind the camera to reset the mirror. In normal practice, you would remove the back to prevent wasting a frame of film - you're there already. It sounds like something is sticking inside the camera, or out of adjustment. It's time for a CLA.</p>

<p>Got it freed up! Many thanks to all who helped! I turned the screw inside the body while turning the wind knob and it freed up. Of course, I tried a multitude of things at the same time, but I think it was the right combination of the screw and the knob that freed it up.</p>

<p>Thanks again everybody!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Dena</p>

<p>Events like this indicate it is time to have the body serviced.<br>

Hasselblad cameras are like cars. You can neglect the service a couple of times.<br>

In the end you have an unreliable tool in your hands that is quite often blamed for problems that could have been prevented.</p>

<p>Paul you couldn't be more right! I have my Hasselblad and have needed to have the body serviced...been sitting for way too long and now the rear aux shutter that is closest to the film back will get caught against itself so instead of laying flat one on top of the other, they would hit while they were closing and make kind of a pyramid which them I would have to pop off the back move one of the shutters, and reassemble before I was able to advance the film again.</p>

<p>Hello Bennie,</p>

<p>Thanks for the compliment.<br>

Quite often Hasselblad cameras are blamed for problems that come from incorrect handling and or lack of proper maintenance.<br>

Many users are only interested in solving a problem to go on using gear that needs a service. <br>

Used equipment bought without information concerning their service history is best offered for a CLA by a reputable repairman.<br>

He may even tell you what parts should be replaced in the near future.</p>

<p>Do not blame the camera if it presents problems that could have been avoided.</p>

<p> </p>