Nikkor 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

<p>Due to the leaked roadmap (for real or not, but recent announcement of D300s & D3000 strengthens its probability), there is a new lens which caught my attention: Nikkor 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR.<br>

I guess it will be made a kit lens with the upcoming 24.5mp D700x, because of its likely balanced weight, VR ability, and a pleasing focal range for most applications. It may have an average mechanical build. How about optical quality? It should yield acceptable corner-to-corner sharpness to be coupled with a hi-res sensor, at least when stopped to f/8.<br>

Any opinions?</p>

<p>i can't believe they would release a lens painted such a putrid green and with hot pink racing stripes. i mean, come on nikon. what were yall thinking. it's ridiculous. i hope we can get some sleeves to cover up the atrocious paint job.</p>

<p>"optical quality"</p>

<p>well dpreview didn't do a review and they found that they hypothesized good quality stopped down a stop but couldn't get teh lens to behave acceptably at 135 no matter what they did. KR hasn't put out a review, but he said that the build is crap but the optics are good and he's selling every other lens he owns to have this one. of course, thom hogan hasn't reviewed it and found corner to corner sharpness to be acceptable, but on DX he's not leaving his 17-55 and for FX he won't give up his 24-70. Flickr forums haven't mentioned this one at all but said the lens is too light to be taken seriously. </p>

<p>what you are saying is what you expect from any new nikon lenses. whether any new lenses in the future measure up MUST be determined after they have been invented, much less then reviewed, etc. </p>

<p>Just guesses... That's why I preferred on 'casual conversations'. All information available is as below, no images yet:<br>

AF-S Nikkor 24 to 135 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR:<br />lightweight and affordable zoom with high image quality, 77mm filter thread, 610 g, 7 rounded blades diaphragm, 3 aspherical and 2 ED members, enhanced contrast-detect AF-S mode<br>

Nikkor 24-120mm VR has been usually criticized for its mediocre optical quality, even stooped down. Wondering how this speculated lens may become. If good as stated, it will likely be the most popular lens of FX format.</p>

<p>That "roadmap leak" is among the least credible rumors around, even according to the rumors site that publicized it. Read the discussions on the rumors site for yourself.</p>

<p>The purpose of these rumors is to generate buzz, which in turn generates hits to the rumors sites and increased ad revenues. Lots of noise, very little signal, pretty much a waste of time.</p>