5D Mark II Problem

mlackey

<p>I was shooting with the 5D Mark II when I noticed a balck line had appreared in my images.<br>

When I took the elinchrom trigger off and put an old promaster on the camera returned to normal. The elichchrom worked fine on the 5D and 20D the images from those bodies were fine. The line only appreared on the 5D Mark II when the camera was in manual mode. Could the seating of the elinchrom in the hot shoe have caused the problem? Has anyone seen anything like this before? Thanks for your help.</p>

<div>00UDTq-165333684.jpg.548f71632a09cf3f53ac92935125dc7d.jpg</div>

<p>That definitely looks like a sync problem. The flash is firing too early or too late in the shutter cycle (sorry, I don't know which way the shutter curtains slide). I don't know the specifics of your equipment, but it looks like the flash trigger is getting delayed and the flash is firing too late. Particularly since it only happens with one piece of flash equipment. Have you tried it with a slower shutter speed?</p>

<p>looks to me like a sync problem also... probably doesnt matter what shutter speed youre using, the old trigger is just not talking to your new camera. use the other one that works or try a newer model. but that definitely looks like your catching your shutter. whats the flash set to in the camera? first or second curtain?</p>

<p>Mitch, because the curtain doesn't change orientation with the frame, it is fixed.</p>

<p>Does the trigger have different settings on it? A toggle switch of any sort? Just seems odd. Try the second curtain setting and see what you get.</p>

<p>I had one remote trigger that had a delay built into it, you generally had to use a stop slower sync speed than the recommended maximum. It would do this sort of thing if you shot at the max sync speed. But since you slowed it to 1/60, it is confusing. Do you still have the other cameras, try them again to see if the unit has malfunctioned/broken!</p>

<p>You all were right I adjusted the settings on the transmitter and the problem is resolved getting good results with all bodies and the camera settings match the light meter info. The old and new flashes are as one. Thank you all. Here is a shot I just took for a photo contest...I was surprised the flash didn't dry out the tomato.</p><div>00UDbr-165391584.thumb.jpg.ee71dbef44fe3ed4f3ebe9b745721835.jpg</div>

<p>There is one thing that is still bugging me I had over 140 shots prior to this problem. How did the system loose sync? Well I guess I will shoot if it happens again I will be back. I will find out tomorrow about 16:30 CST.</p>

<p>The problem is not with the camera. It's your trigger. When you say the camera 'returned to normal that's actually misleading' - the camera is doing what is supposed to do, I don't know why you immediately assumed the problem was with the 5D II instead of checking your 3rd party accessories first. That would be the more appropriate thing to do.</p>

<p>Even the post title doesn't make it easy for forum searches because it would show up under "5D problem' not 'elinchrom trigger problem' - see what I mean?</p>

<p>Giampi:<br>

You are right the problem was operator error. I just noticed that there is a difference between the two frames. It is shutter speed I accidently set above the curtain sync. I apologize for wasting everyones time.<br>

Mitch</p>